MsWest
MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience:  Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
5099353
Type Your Question Here...

our grandfathers and fathers built the catholic church in ...

our grandfathers and fathers built the catholic church in my town. who owns the church?
Category: General
Expert:  MsWest replied 7 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

Regardless of who built the church, it is owned by whomever has legal title to it. This would be shown on a deed of trust for the property. Most likely the Catholic Church owns the land and building. Now, if your relative who built the church did so for pay, this changes things. If they did so as volunteers, then no. Were they paid for their work? Did they have a contract for being paid for their work? If they did, and they were never paid, they could have filed a lien on the property to ensure payment. However, this still doesn't mean they have any ownership interest in the property.

If you would like to share a bit more information about this with me, there may be more involved in the church's ownership than is first apparent. Otherwise, I hope this answers your question.

Thank you.

MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience: Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i meant our ancestors built it over 100 yrs ago. we have to get permission from the bishop to do any repairs or inprovements. the bishop is closeing a lot of cathloc churches and schools in our diocese. guess this means we cant do a thing if he decides to close our church.
Expert:  MsWest replied 7 years ago.

Well, since you have to get the bishop's permission, it seems the church does indeed own the property. I'm sorry to hear it may be closing. Perhaps you might go as a group and discuss the situation with him . . . asking what you all might be able to do to help keep your church open.

I wish you the best of luck with being able to keep your church open.

Thank you for trusting me with your question.