MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience:  Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
Type Your Question Here...

How do I tie a simple bow with a grosgrain ribbon

How do I tie a simple bow with a grosgrain ribbon? The middle part looks funny. I already tried to ask, but the directions are for more complex arrangements. I need the simple bow like tying your shoe, but with a middle that isn't ugly. THanks!
Category: General
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

Hi, Debbie, and thank your for asking your question on Just Answer.

The secret to tying a bow with a pretty middle is in tying the bow loosely first, and then gradually tightening it as you keep the middle nice and straight and the loops even. Here is a link with some fairly simple instructions.

The instructions above will work for most any material, including various types of ribbon. I hope this is what you are looking for, and, if not, please let me know what else you want to know so I can help you make the "perfect" bow.

Thanks again for trusting Just Answer to help with your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HI there,

This bow did not work for me. THe middle is not the square I envisioned. The ribbon I am working with is a bit thicker and stiffer so the middle still looks ugly and the bow is a bit lopsided. This ribbon is stapled to the back of painted wooden letters that spell out my daughter's name. I am trying to hang the letters so the ribbon looks pretty. Sorry! Any other suggestions?
Expert:  MsWest replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and, yes! I do have another way to help make the middle look great!

Can you remove the bow from the letters so you can continue to work with it until it looks the way you want it to?

What you do is actually take a separate piece of ribbon and wrap it around the center. This piece should be long enough to go around and just slightly overlap in the back. It will cover the "real" ribbon middle. Then, you either tape it on the backside of the bow, or you can glue it, if you have time to let it dry - preferably overnight, if possible. A regular glue like Elmer's white glue works well for this, or you might use a fabirc glue if you happen to have some. If the bow is large enough, a staple on the backside also will hold the piece well. This may work best with the heavier ribbon.

Please let me know how this works for you.