MsWest
MsWest, Senior Research Associate
Experience:  Experience in research, genealogy, writing, real estate law, business, finance, health.
5099353
Type Your Question Here...

I am looking for information on a 1625 coin. It says Paris ...

I am looking for information on a 1625 coin. It says Paris on it and has a picture of the Pope on one side and Madonna and Child on the other side

Hello, and thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!

Can you tell me the size of the coin?

What is the denomination? This is most likely in Roman numerals.

Is it approximately quarter-sized or dime-sized, etc?

What color is the coin? Is it gold-toned, silver, or ?

Are there any other marking on the coin . . . perhaps a denomination?

Is the coin round, or does it have another shape such as a hexagon or octogon?

Does the person you refer to as the Pope have on a crown?

Please reply as soon as possible, so we can find the answer to your question.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Westgal's Post: The size of the coin is 1 5/8". It weighs 1 oz. It has writing around the edges on both sides, but I am not sure what the denomination is. The picture that I believe is a Pope shows him with a mitered hat and around that looks like a halo. There is a small circle near the bottom of his robe that has a lion standing on his back feet. Around this side of the coin is "TVS.EPS.SALISB.1625" Then it has "SANCT.RVDBER"
The other side with what I think is Madonna and Child, "ESP.SAL.SEALIE (I am guessing at the last 3 letters as the coin is very worn in that spot.Under this is much smaller letters that are "SIDIVM.CONF.VG" The other half of this side has "PARIS.D.G.ARCHI" under that in small letters is "SVB.IVVM.PRE" On the bottom of this side is also a small circle with a lion standing on his back feet. The circle is topped with a cross in the middle and 2 smaller circles on each side of that. Sue Claps

Hello Sue, and thanks for the additional information. I think I've found your coin!

I have found the site, linked below, that has information from a 2003 auction sale:

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=28372

The coin shown seems to match your description. From the description, it seems to be an Austrian coin that was produced from 1619-1653.

I hope this gives you the information you are looking for. If this isn't the correct coin, please let me know so I can research it further.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer, and if you need further answers about this coin, or anything else, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Westgal's Post: This is not the same coin, but very close. Did they make other simular coins in that same period?

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Here is another coin from the same 2003 auction:

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=28373

Is this one like your coin?

If not, I will continue searching.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Westgal's Post: Bingo!!! Thanks so much for your answer.

Sue Claps
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Sue Claps
Oh, wonderful! Thanks so much for letting me know!