The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers
Experience:  Retired Civil Engineer, USC Professor & Realtor, financier
Type Your Question Here...

How can I tell if my ham has gone bad It is a whole ...

Customer Question

How can I tell if my ham has gone bad? It is a whole bone-in ham. the outer layer was slightly green, but when I sliced it off it was still very pink. But it has small bright red dot-like specks throughout. There is no bad odor. Is ist safe?
Category: General
Expert:  The Geezer replied 9 years ago.
The consumption of meat products that have obviously "spoiled" - given growth to mold, fungus and or toxic bacteria colonies - is a bet of one's life against the modest value of the food product.

Unlike cheese, which can safely be "dressed" by removing the discolored outer layers (cheese is a bacterial byproduct ANYhow) , meat cannot be safely consumed if it has been exposed to temperatures that have already started bacterial decomposition.

Dump it. It is NOT safe.