Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate, United States Traveler, Information Finder
Type Your Question Here...

What is an appropriate gift to take to a Jewish New Years

Should I take a food? Candles? Bread?
Nothing? I don't want to be the only one to arrive empty handed.
Category: General
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

Hi there, and welcome back!

I will certainly be able help you out with this, but first, can you tell me if they keep kosher (if you don't know, that's okay too).

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I asked that, and she said no, they don't keep kosher. She said they will be having red meat, and I could bring a bottle of red wine. She has been a special help to me as of late, and I just wanted to take something a little less boring yet fitting tradition. Might I add, she needs it might be a small yet thoughtful gift!
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

Ok, great!

Yes, red wine would definitely be appropriate. The sweeter, the better. Rosh Hashanah is a "sweet" holiday, and the festive meal usually features lots of sweet things (apples and honey, sugared carrots, and sweet wine).

Other things you might consider:

• dried fruit
  • fresh fruit basket -- figs, dates, and pomegranates would be traditional, but anything would work
  • fresh flowers

You mentioned bread. The odds are that they will already have one or more challah breads, so I'd avoid that. Same with candles.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you need more suggestions,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am guessing she will be covered on the food sweet wine is probably the safest...yet quite boring! I guess I was thinking more in a Christmas present type fashion, not a New Years. If I take flowers, is there a symbolic flower for New Years?
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.

Hi again!

There is no specific arrangement for Rosh Hashanah. However, that said, something sweet smelling would be most appropriate, since that is definitely the theme of the holiday: sweetness for the New Year.