Deborah
Deborah, Research Analyst
Experience:  Past President of City Garden Club, Hobbies of Gardening, Mom/Grandma, International Cooking
761613
Type Your Question Here...

How do you cover or fill in deep facial scars before applying makeup?

Customer Question

I had a large white head on the bridge of my nose. When I released it is left kind of a "hole".
Category: General
Expert:  James replied 7 years ago.

The main thing you should know is that you shouldn't, under any circumstances, try to cover scars with a light concealer. If you do so you will draw more attention to the scar. Scar tissue has a shiny appearance and the best thing to concealing a scar is to get rid of or reduce the shine. It is not feasible to fill in a scar with makeup; doing this will only cause the scar to look more obvious.

The easiest method of scar masking is to hide the area with a good foundation followed by a thin layer of translucent powder. Keep powder with you to correct during the day

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: That won't help--the"hole" has to be filled in.
Expert:  James replied 7 years ago.

It can be filled in. However i would strongly suggest using a foundation to fill it in with. And make sure to keep poweder with you thruout the day as it may wear off.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: That will not fix the problem.
Expert:  James replied 7 years ago.

Ok what is it exactly you are wanting to do? How else do you want to fill in the hole? The BEST and SAFEST way to fill in the hole would be with makeup itself. foundation cream would be the best way to fill it in. It will not be noticeable and will hide the scar very well.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: Just can't accept as have tried and that wont help, period.
Expert:  James replied 7 years ago.

Since cream fillers are not working i can only give you remedys to get the scars gone off your face. Here is a perfect solution.

The best home remedy for scars is actually lemon juice, since it is a natural bleach and will lighten scars. Since you are using lemon juice in any case, there is really nothing else you can do. Please don't stress about the scars. Once you have your pimples under control, the scars will gradually fade. Also, you could consider laser treatment as a final option - but only after your pimples are under control, or else they will keep reappearing and you will keep getting fresh scars. As soon as a pimple bursts, gently squeeze it completely till all the pus and blood comes out - with clean hands - and then apply cotton soaked in lemon juice to the spot. Leave it on for 10 - 15 mins. You will not get a scar.

Try dermabrasion and chemical peels to diminish scarring. You can also use retinol or alpha hydroxyl acid lotions or creams. Creams like Mederma or Rosehip seed oil also reduce scars. Use Aloe Vera juice, gels and lavender oils. Laser surfacing is another option, which may not last for long. Collagen or ones' own fat is injected under the scar to bring it to the surface in a process called Augmentation. In a technique called Subcision, the scar is detached from deeper tissue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, won't accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Maybe someone else can help--thanks, though.
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

I am a certified registered nurse anesthetist that frequently works with plastic surgeons in the operating room.

You may wish to consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options related to procedures that can diminish the scar. Laser treatments, injections, scar revision surgery and also permanent makeup, micropigmentation, or dermagraphics, is the process of depositing microns of colored pigment into the dermal layer of the skin. Restoration of eyebrows, lips, eyeliner, camouflaging skin imperfections and scars are helping

There are many products that can be used to fill uneven area due to scarring. One of the best products is a wax based product that is used to cover tattoos and also reduces the appearance of scars. Make-up (foundation) can then be used to even the finish.

Scar Cover

Another doctor recommended scar concealer is Ben Nye Coverette Cover-Up Series

The trick is to fill the scar and then apply foundation in a flattering skin tone and then apply Dermablend Setting Powder.

I see you are located in Naples, FL. My parents have a winter home there and I happen to know there is a Macy's at Naples Coastland Center.

Macy's sells Dermablend, and any of the technicians from the cosmetic counter will offer you a sample and also provide tips on how to achieve precise coverage.

While at Macy's stop by the Estée Lauder counter to try a sample of the Estée Lauder Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup

Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Deborah, Research Analyst
Experience: Past President of City Garden Club, Hobbies of Gardening, Mom/Grandma, International Cooking
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Deborah: Hace tried Demablend and it does not work. I see nothing on the Corvette line that ould help. Cannot afford surgery. Sorry cannot accept, but, thanks anyway. Nancy
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Nancy, the trick is to use the wax based filler, apply the Estee Lauder Concealer or use Dermablend.

This must be set with powder. If you go to Macy's you can try these products and have the technician's show you the technique for free. Learning how to apply the products in layers is the key.

Simply using Dermablend in one layer and expecting results is not a reasonable expectation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Don't understand the form.