The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers
Experience:  Retired Civil Engineer, USC Professor & Realtor, financier
2837397
Type Your Question Here...

I have 10 yuan from China. Can you tell me what it is ...

I have 10 yuan from China. Can you tell me what it is worth, and if it is worth anything if it is from wwii. It is paper money and it says on it Ten Yuan. From the bank of China.the date on one of them is 1928
The best measure of value for this type of collectible good is the retail price at which you can buy replacements or similar items. That price puts a definite ceiling on the "value". Should you try to sell such an item to a dealer they will offer you 25%-33% of the retail price at best. Thus if you try to sell it to a collector they will offer you 50-60% of the retail price, tops. Of course, if you find exactly the right buyer and they just HAVE to have what you are selling, you could negotiate a price closer to retail replacement cost.

Here are ten crisp bank notes from that era, although not that exact year, for $25:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUNDLE-OF-25-OLD-1937-CHINA-TEN-YUAN-BANK-NOTES-CRISP_W0QQitemZ300129605067QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3432QQcmdZViewItem

This site offers 63 bank notes for $175, about $3 each.

http://www.eyersworld.com/PriceList/bnlist.htm

Other offers on line are similar.

Your notes are worth about $3 to $5 each, unless you can find a collector that just HAS to have your notes and no others... $10 each tops under those circumstances.