Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate, United States Traveler, Information Finder
3546829
Type Your Question Here...

I need all possible lock combinations for a 3 number lock.

I need all possible lock combinations for a 3 number lock. My nephew got me to show him how to change the combination on his playstation case, and now he forgot the new combo. Grrr.... So now we'll have to do it by hand.

Chase! How are you?

How many numbers does the dial have?

-Scott

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Hey Scott,

I should have known *wink*

0-9, three dials.

Chase

Haha, I love numbers, what can I say...

If each dial has 10 numbers and there are 3 dials, then there will be 10^3 combinations (1000 combinations).

The easiest way to go through the combinations, ensuring that you won't miss one, is like this:

000
001
002
.....
997
998
999

Let me know if that makes sense, or if you were looking for something else.

Scott

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post:

I know what you mean, but I HATE numbers. What I need is the actual list so that I can run thru the numbers or have him run thru them without thinking about what the next number is. I tried to find a list, but I'm so aggravated right now, I'm ready to strangle him. lol

Chase

Okay!

Here is an Excel spreadsheet (now that we can upload those)... It begins with 000 and ends with 999, and contains each of the numbers in between that you'll need to try. Let's hope that you get to the real combination sooner than later!

The first of the three digits is what you should set the first dial to, the second digit is for the second dial, and the last digit is for the third dial. So if you see 137, you set the first dial to 1, the second to 3, and the last to 7. Make sense?

-Scott

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

i'm so bad with numbers that I couldn't see until you sent me the excel that it was simply like counting from 1 to 999. duh. Anyway, thank goodness the number was 088, and my thumb is raw from pushing the lever, lol, but at least it wasn't 988.

Thanks so much Scott,

Chase

Chase,

Thanks for the bonus! You're quite lucky that it was 088!

-Scott