Big Dave
Big Dave, Consultant
Experience:  I'm the Cliff Claven of JustAnswer
4895705
Type Your Question Here...

how can i tell if a ring is real tungsten

No Comment Added
Category: General
Expert:  Big Dave replied 9 years ago.

Hi Stacey - Rings are not typically made of pure tungsten.... intead they are tungsten carbide. Are you asking if it's tungsten carbide? I think it may help if we knew a bit more about your situation. Are you trying to distinguish it from another metal such as titanium? Could you share a bit more about why you are trying to determine the metal? What does the ring look like?

Thanks,
Dave

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i bought the ring on bidz and wwe were just wondering b/c they said it was tungsten carbide.
the ring is a black shiny medal and is edged lile a nut (that you would use to tighten a screw in)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i bought the ring on bidz and we were just wondering b/c they said it was tungsten carbide.
the ring is a black shiny medal and is edged like a nut (that you would use to tighten a screw in)
Expert:  Big Dave replied 9 years ago.

Hi Stacey,

Tungsten Carbide rings have become very popular because they are very durable and scratch resistant. They do not bend like other metals and cannot be cut with ring cutters or resized. In fact, if it has to be removed from a finger in an emergency, it has to be put in a vice and squeezed until it literally cracks into pieces.

I looked at Tungsten Carbide rings when I was getting married last year and they look very nice. I've seen black rings that are titanium or are tungsten carbide but with gold, silver, platinum, and even titanium rings, you will notice scratching, denting and nicks (some more prevalent depending on the metal). The metal tungsten is about 4 times harder than titanium and titanium is much lighter. Tungsten Carbide rings have a very good polish and are extremely hard to scratch - a Tungsten Carbide ring can only be scratched by a diamond or a product containing the mineral corundum. Since the polish is supposed to last 30 years or more, if you start to notice scratches on it then it is likely not tungsten carbide! You can go to your local jeweler and look at their selection of rings to compare between the various metals. They can also likely look at your ring and give you an opinion as to whether the material is tungsten carbide very quickly (and without cost). Here is more information:
http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-tungsten.html

Here is another site with more information on the metal:
http://e-weddingbands.com/store/tungsten_rings.html

If this is helpful, please click Accept.

Thanks,
Dave