Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate, United States Traveler, Information Finder
Type Your Question Here...

Did they have direct deposit for soldiers during the U.S. Civil War

did soldiers get ckecks cash or did they have the option of money being sent home ?

Hi, and welcome to JA!

That's a great question.

White soldiers made about $13 per week, and black soldiers made about $10 per week (

There was no direct deposit back then. This picture should give you a pretty good idea of what the soliders did to collect their earnings:

This link from the National Park Service explains that some soldiers mailed their earnings home to their families:

In doing this research for you, I spoke with National Park Service Ranger Frank at the Fredricksburg National Military Park in Virginia (, he can be reached at: 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN. He explained that the payments were in cash, and that they did not happen regularly (even though they were supposed to). A quartermaster would visit each set of troops about every 2-6 months to give them their cash payments. I also spoke with a Ranger from Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, also in Virginia ( That ranger explained that the Union troops were paid by the Federal Government, while the Confederate troops were paid by the individual states that they were from.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Scott !

Thank you for the great answers an the links ! You answered my question quickly and expertly !!!!

Thank you !

You're welcome! Thanks for the accept, bonus, and feedback!