John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Math, science and 25 years experience in computer programming
Type Your Question Here...

I am having to write about a subject that is way out of my ...

I am having to write about a subject that is way out of my league. Can anyone tell me where to find information about such road construction equipment as graders, and/or "scarifiers". What is the type of vehicle called to which a grader blade would be attached? Is there any way to find out how many are in use in Canada or U.S.? I don't want to buy any such equipment, just need to know about it.

These machines are called Earthmoving Equipment. Below is a list of webpages showing photos and describing each of of these major roadwork equipment.

As for the scarifiers and blades, these are attachments that are used on Graders. Blades are used to do final leveling of the earth before the rood bases or asphalt is placed. Scarifiers on the other hand 'scratch' the ground (like plowing) in order to prepare the earth to be mixed with the correct of amount of water.

graphic Leveling Blade

graphic Scarifier

Major Earthmoving Equipment:

Hope this helps. If you need further information please feel free to ask.