The Geezer
The Geezer, Successful careers
Experience:  Retired Civil Engineer, USC Professor & Realtor, financier
Type Your Question Here...

How can you tell if a wallet is an authentic Louis Vuitton

How can you tell if a wallet is authentic Louis Vuitton. It has Louis Vuitton made in France Paris & on the snap it says Louis Vuitton, the snap is silver.
"...Just how do you tell a fake Louis Vuitton or Gucci bag from the real deal? Find out how to take home the genuine article every time with this indispensible guide to spotting the fakes.

With the advent of the Internet the crims are raking in the dirty dollars. Ebay is a breeding ground for fake designer merchandise and while there are websites selling the genuine article, there are just as many passing off counterfeit goods as the real thing. The problem is taken seriously by those at the top. Rumour has it that security staff at Louis Vuitton will even confiscate guests' handbags at their fashion shows if they are suspected fakes (oh the shame)! So, what are the signs to look out for?

The design
Do your research. Every celeb worth their close-up carries a status bag - the pages of Heat, Vogue and Harper's Bazaar are full of them. Check sites like or the designers' own sites (,, to see the styles and details of authentic merchandise clearly. Never seen a Murakami visor? That's because they don't exist outside of Canal Street..."

Read about it here:

Here is another - copyrighted - web site with details on spotting Loius Vuitton fakes:

Louis Viutton has their OWN web site discussion about fakes:

But here are some "replica" retail sites!

And there are many more...

If you paid replica pricing, it is probably "worth" replica pricing. If your bag is authentic, then it should be authentically prices. Sorry, I am a fashion geek GUY, my expert opinion of value is this - if you can buy the same thing somewhere else (and by the "same" I mean identically the SAME) that other price is what it's worth.

But PLEASE don't ask me if a genuine Vuitton is worth what they cost - my opinion isn't what sells the genuine bags!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Geezer's Post: I still don't know what to look for on a purse to tell me if it is real.
Sorry if the indicated sites didn't provide you the information you need. I will "opt out" and let other experts respond. Have a good evening.
The Geezer, Successful careers
Experience: Retired Civil Engineer, USC Professor & Realtor, financier

I would suggest that you visit a Louis Vuitton boutique and examine all the bags carefully. Look at the pricing, the materials the bags are made of, the colors used and the lings. Check out the pricing too, because if the price is too good to be true, then it must be fake! while it is true that authentic Louis Vuitton is made in France, for over 25 years, Louis Vuitton has also produced bags in the USA, Spain, Germany and Italy. It is not true that a Louis Vuitton bag has to be marked "Made in France" to be authentic

Firstly, always purchase a Louis Vuitton item only at one of their stores, a duty free store at an airport or a highend department store that has mini boutiques inside (ie: Saks or Neimans) that are under the exclusive control of LV. There is NO wholesale distribution of Louis Vuitton at all. So, if you see a LV handbag in a handbag store, it is definitely a replica.

LV never discounts! There is no such thing as a Louis Vuitton sale- even at a boutique or Neiman Marcus (or Saks, Nordstrom etc.) They just don't do it... ever! There are no end of the year sales, no sample sales... no sales period! Louis Vuitton does not have outlets, or seconds or irregulars-- Never. If you return a purse that is irregular for any reason, they'll usually take it back, but they will not discount it and then resell it. They will simply destroy the bag. There are no outlet stores for "last year's models."

When you do buy Louis Vuitton from a boutique it will come with tags, but they are never attached to the bag. Louis Vuitton tags are usually tucked into a pocket or included in an envelope that comes with your receipt.

An authentic bag should always have a dustbag, authenticity & care cards. However, these are also counterfited, so do not rely on these as the sole verification source.

Look in the lining for a date code. Louis Vuitton hs always yused a date code, but made a change to the date code format beginning in January 2007. You will still find the same two letters followed by four number format, however instead of using the staggered month and year, Louis Vuitton is now using a staggered Week of the Year and Year formula so that. a date code that says SD 0077 is not a bag that was made in July of 2007, but is a bag that was made in the 7th week of the year 2007 so mid-to late February of 2007. Some fake bags will have a code. The date code will almost always (with very few exceptions) be in the same place in every bag throughout the years. So you know that if you are looking for a Cabas Piano and you find one with a date code in the pocket (when it should be under the d-ring) you're looking at a fake.

Louis Vuitton has been in production since 1854. Their style is classic, and quality ia phenomenal. The traditional Monogram Toile canvas that is so popular today had its beginnings in 1896. The monogram itself can give clues as to authenticity. Louis Vuitton is very careful about the way that the monogram is placed on any piece. Most of its styles are the same today as they were when they first came out with a few exceptions. The actual LV monogram is usually (with the exception of some vintage pieces) symetrical from side to side in all monogram styles (traditional, Multicolore, Cerises, Mini mono, Vernis etc.) Any othetr variation of the monogram would be a fake.

Louis Vuitton is very careful with it's stitching. Stitching should be very even and regular. The same number of stitches will be found in similar locations on similar bags. For example the leather tab that the handle attaches onto on any size monogram Speedy bag will always have 5 regular, even stitches across the top.

I hope this helps, let me know what questions you may have.