Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate, United States Traveler, Information Finder
Type Your Question Here...

What constitutes as a good university honours degree This

What constitutes as a good university honours degree? This is a description of a requirement to attend a graduate school in Scotland. I would like to know the conversion on a 4.0 GPA scale (US standards).

I went to college in the US (and I am currently in graduate school), so I can help you with this.

Are you looking for a description of the standard US GPA scale? Do you also need to know standard award (cum laude) levels?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, but actually, my situation is reverse. I am currently an undergraduate in the US and I am looking to attend a school overseas in the UK. However, I am at a loss as to what a honours degree is? My GPA is around a 3.4 so what is that in UK terms? Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Ok, that makes sense.

I am going to use these pages as a reference:'s_degree#Scotland

By definition, an honours degree in Scotland "is awarded for students who have completed four years at university - two years at sub-honours level, studying a variety of different subjects, and two years at honours level studying one subject in depth, usually including a dissertation in the final year." (This is taken from Wikipedia, which is open source -- so I'm allowed to copy it here.)

The following page tells you about the classifications of honours degrees:

First Class Honours means that you were in about the top 10% of your class. A 3.4 GPA is probably close to that (depending on where you go to school), but it likely falls just short, putting you in the equivalent of "Second Class Honours". (Which is then broken into upper and lower second class... see below.)

To be even more specific, you can look at this reference:

It says that last year, 12% had First Class, while 47% were in the Upper Second Class.

So to answer your question, I would say that your American 3.4 GPA is equivalent to Upper Second Class Honours in the UK.

I hope this helps,