Pat Kenny
Pat Kenny, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Electronic Engineer, Project Manager, Science Hobbyist, Herbal Enthusiast
Type Your Question Here...

what common household item weighs 100 grams; or even 50 grams

Customer Question

I need to know what is equal to 100 grams that I may find in the house
Category: General
Expert:  Pat Kenny replied 9 years ago.

Here is the answer to your question.

If you have a measuring cup, then 100 ml of water equals precisely 100 grams. This is because the weight of water is 1 kg per litre.

If you actually need an object that weighs 100 grams all by itself, then measure out 100 ml of water, and then freeze it, so that the resulting ice block will weigh 100 grams.

Same for 50 grams - 50 ml of water = 50 grams.

Another alternative is eggs. You might have a carton of eggs in which one or more eggs is very close to 50 grams. If their weight is stated in ounces, then a 21 oz carton of a dozen eggs would have eggs very close to 50 grams each. A 42 oz carton would have eggs close to 100 grams each (those would be big eggs).

There might be some other fruits that come close to 100 grams or 50 grams - but you'd have to be able to weigh them on a kitchen scale to be sure. An average kiwifruit weighs close to 50 grams, and an average lemon would be close to 100 grams.

Aside from those discrete items, anything like rice or flour can be measured out to make up 100 grams. For example, 1/2 cup (125 ml or about 4 and 1/2 fl.oz) of dry rice weighs very close to 100 grams.

For reference -

100 grams = 3.5274 oz (or about 3 and 1/2 oz)
50 grams = 1.7637 oz (or about 1 and 3/4 oz)

1 oz = 28.35 grams (or about 28 and 1/3 grams)

Please let me know if you need further assistance with this answer.

I hope this helps.