Viki
Viki, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for all levels.
Type Your Question Here...

flooking for fastners for duvet covers

Customer Question

lokking for fastners that keep the comforter and cover from separating
Category: General
Expert:  TexanBrit replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thanks for visiting Just Answer today!

The best method my family has found is to use the soft sewable type of "Velcro" (the 'hook & loop' tape) to fix the problem with their bedding. This sort is about 1 inch wide by about a yard long and is designed specifically to be sewn onto clothing and other fabrics - it's not same as the stiffer adhesive variety. It is commonly available in stores like Walmart (or 'XXXXX XXXXX' in the UK) and usually sold in either black or white. I would recommend white, but it depends on the color of your bedding, of course.

'How To' details ...

1 - Cut eight (8) lengths of the Velcro tape about 2 inches long, then separate each section so you have one pile of the hooked pieces and one pile of the fuzzy looped pieces.

2- Turn the comforter cover inside out and lay it out with the underside facing upwards (the side you don't see when it's lying on the bed).

3 - Find the middle point of the four edges of the comforter and use either a sewing pin or washable marker pen/pencil to mark those four points on the top surface only. Do the same for the cover, on the top layer only.

4 - Carefully hand sew one of the 8 pieces from one pile (doesn't matter which pile you use first) onto the comforter, positioning them at the four corners and on the mark you made at the middle of each of the four edges.

4 - Next, do the same with the other 8 pieces from the remaining pile, sewing them onto the underside layer of the cover, again positioning them at the four corners and middle points of each edge. Beware - Make sure you only sew through one layer of the cover fabric, otherwise you won't be able to get the comforter back into the cover afterwards!

5 - Turn the cover right side out again and put the comforter inside it, pressing the Velcro pieces together at each point.

The above method assumes that the comforter and cover are the same size.

However, if the cover is larger than the comforter you will need to find and mark the right spots on each one to make sure that the comforter will lie smoothly inside the cover when the various Velcro patches are matched up with each other. If you don't do this the cover will be all bunched up.

To find the right spots ...

1 - Turn the cover inside out and lay it underside upwards on a clean floor.

2 - Lay the comforter carefully down on top of the cover with the top edges (the pillow end) lined up with each other evenly. (If the cover is wider, line up the middle of them both together, keeping the top edges lined up.

3 - Take a pin (or a washable marker) and pin or mark the eight points on the corners and edges of the comforter.

4 - Carefully mark the same spots on the underside layer of the cover, making sure they are lined up exactly with the same points you marked on the comforter.

5 - Now you can sew on the 16 pieces of Velcro tape as mentioned before, making sure you have a piece of hook and matching piece of loop at each point.

If there's anything you would like me to explain further, please send a reply and I'll be happy to help. If this is all you need, please click on the Accept and I would really appreciate positive feedback so I know you're happy.

Thanks and have a great day!
Expert:  Viki replied 7 years ago.
Or you can buy them at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I believe these are what you are looking for: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=10313465&RN=404
Viki, Internet Researcher
Experience: I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for all levels.
Expert:  TexanBrit replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,Customer

My colleague Viki has been kind enough to provide you with a link to a pack of clips you can use, just in case you don't want to do any sewing at all. I took a look at the product page - They are $5.99 for four clips, so you may need to buy two packs to achieve the same even and secure results as the Velcro option, because having an fixed point at the middle of each side is really the best way to hold the duvet/comforter and cover together, ensuring that they do not slip around inside the cover at all. Just securing the four corners still allows the middle section of the comforter to slip down towards the foot end of the cover. I don't know why that happens, but it does!

So there we are - Now you have a couple of solutions to choose from ...

The 'no sew' clips that you remove and re-attach every time you wash the duvet or cover, or the sew on Velcro tape, which is permanently attached to both items and is wash and dry-able. (Obviously you would need to add lengths of Velcro to any other covers you own, but then again a yard of tape is cheap and goes a long way.)

Once you have decided which option you prefer, please don't forget to click on the Accept button by the answer you prefer, and we would appreciate it if you would post Feedback too.

Thanks for returning to Just Answer with your new question, and we look forward to helping you again soon!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to TexanBrit's Post: I am actually looking for fastners that go on each corner like clips to keep the comforter from shifting away. Someone from work said they have them a Bed Bath and Beyond. Thouhgt I could find where to buy them searching. Sorry
Expert:  TexanBrit replied 7 years ago.
No problemCustomerWink

I suspect you may have missed the answer from my colleague 'viki', that was popped in between my two replies - Those were the clips I was talking about in my second post. So, if you click on the writing in blue in viki's post, a new page should open with the product displayed.

Just bear in mind the various pros and cons of the two different options, as discussed in my second post. Smile

Once you have decided which route you prefer, please don't forget to 'Accept' the appropriate answer ... Positive feedback is also much appreciated too. (Of course, you can always return another time and 'Accept' the other expert's answer as well, if you wanted to!) Laughing

Anyway ... I'm glad that we could help you - Have a great evening and please come back to Just Answer again soon!