John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Math, science and 25 years experience in computer programming
53785
Type Your Question Here...

backing up files

I am trying to back up some files to cd. Every program I try has certain file name size restriction, or won't copy a file if it has certain characters, like _, in the file name. Windows has no problem saving them. It is not practical to rename every file I want to save to cd or backup.Is there any program that lets me save any file to cd, regardless of file name size or characters in the name. I have tried handy backup and Roxio's recordnow, and backup mypc.

If you're running windows xp, you should be able to write your files to the cd using windows built in cd writer which should not have any conflict with windows file names. Just drag the files to your cd drive icon, then, when done, open the cd drive icon and from the File menu select write these files to cd.

Hope this helps.