Viki
Viki, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for all levels.
1680453
Type Your Question Here...

what role does the material culture have in religion

what use do artifacts have in religion
I assume you are talking about material items such as statues, medals, relics and other items that symbolize a religion. They serve as visual and tactile reminders of the tenets of the religion. Sometimes they are tributes or memorials to religious beliefs. Some religions believe that certain items are imbued with holiness and the items are worshipped for themselves rather than as symbols. Some items are used to teach religious concepts and some are used to convert others to a particular belief. Sometimes the place where a religious artifact is stored or located is venerated as a holy place because of the religious value of the item.