Viki
Viki, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for all levels.
1680453
Type Your Question Here...

I live in Pa. and have been working out of town for 6 ...

Customer Question

I live in Pa. and have been working out of town for 6 months. I have 6 years with the company, Its not working out for me my wife is having a tough time with it and its causing problems. If they don,t have work back home as they did for the first 6 years and I tell them I going home can I be denied unemployment compensation
Thanks Sam
Category: General
Expert:  Viki replied 10 years ago.

According to Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation law, to be eligible for unemployment compensation you had to have "lost your job through no fault of your own." (see link below) If you refuse to continue working at your job, because of its location, you would probably not qualify for unemployment compensation.

http://www.pabar.org/clips/unemployment.pdf

Viki, Internet Researcher
Experience: I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for all levels.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Selah R, M.S. LPC replied 10 years ago.
I agree with the information and link you have already been provided. You should contact the local unemployment office and ask to speak to someone, or speak with a lawyer. They might make an exception if you are working a very long distance from home (something that would be considered a non-normal/non-acceptable commute).

On the second page of the link you were provided it states that you may be denied if you quit and didn't have a valid reason. I'd say family stress and commuting over 100 miles each way *could* qualify as valid. It will really depend on the specific office governing your area.

Even if the unemployment office accepts you reason, your employer can still fight the decision, so it may take some time to get benefits approved and actually coming to you.

It also doesn't hurt to start looking for work now, to try to give you some protection of having your full pay. It may also help reduce the amount of stress your family is dealing with if they sense there is really hope that it will end soon.

Best wishes,
Selah