Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.
Type Your Question Here...

How do artists who have a long record (15-20) years of ...

How do artists who have a long record (15-20) years of sales in established galleries become recognized by museums and become part of the museum's collection? A patron of the artist could donate one, but there is a process and a process to get the museum to exhibit it. What steps should I take as a patron and friend of this artist? What person in what positionshould I contact first?
Category: General
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
First - you would need to find a museum whose collection includes or wishes to include the type of art that this artist does.

Next: I would suggest contacting the museum and speak with the Curator of the museum (or the particular collection - i.e. art). I suspect that your best bet would be to call and ask to arrange an appointment to discuss donating a piece of art to their collection. Another option of course would be to loan the piece to the museum if they are planning an exhibit which would logically include the piece you own, but choose not to sell or donate.

Here are a few particular museums an links to information about donating art

For a specific museum in your area - you may want to check their website to see if they have a specific contact person other than the curator