Viki, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for all levels.
Type Your Question Here...

Why would minced fresh garlic turn green when put on ...

Why would minced fresh garlic turn green when put on bread with butter then wrapped in aluminum foil and backed in the oven?

The best answer I can find, is that garlic sometimes turns green if it is not fully mature or dry. The pigments in garlic can react to turn green when in the presence of acid. (perhaps the lactic acid in the butter) It also sometimes develops the chlorophyll that turns it green when its exposed to temperature increases. Green garlic is safe to eat. -You need to scroll down 2/3 of the page to find the pertinent information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So if the garlic had been sauteed in the butter before putting on the bread it would not have turned green. Would you agree?
I think it could have been a combination of any or all of the factors above. (not mature enough, reacting to acid, and heat). I do not think it is something that would occur each time it was prepared the way you prepared it. However, I've never seen garlic turn green when sauteed in butter, so that could be a better way to go.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been most helpful. My original thinking was something along the lines of something in the aluminum foil reacted with the uncooked garlic causing it to turn green. However since you did not mention anything about that I'm assuming you don't think that would have had anything to do with it.

Thanks again, and if you have another thought on it I would appreicate your passing it along.