Glenn
Glenn, engineering tech.
Experience:  over 30 years in a research and development environment/ journeyman electrician
281739
Type Your Question Here...

WHY WONT MY WATER WELL PUMP WATER INTO THE TANK

MY WATER WELL STOPPED PUMPING WATER INTO THE WELL AFTER AN ABOVE GROUND PIPE WAS BROKEN...IT HAS SINCE BEEN REPAIRED. WE THINK THERE IS AIR IN THE TANK PREVENTING THE BLADDER FROM OPERATING CORRECTLY. THE PUMP IS ON AND I HEAR IT RUNNING BUT NO WATER IS BEING PUMPED INTO THE TANK. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE? COULD IT BE THE BLADDER INSIDE THE TANK? HOW TO FIX IT ASAP!?
Category: General
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

Hello

Is this pump above ground ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: YES IT IS. IT IS A PRIVATE HOUSEHOLD WATER WELL.
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

Hello

Did it ever pump after the pipe repair ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: NO. THE PIPE COMING OUT OF THE TANK THAT EXTENDS ABOUT 2 FT THEN TURNS DOWNWARD AND GOES UNDERGROND...IS THE PIPE THAT MY HUSBAND STEPPED ON AND CRACKED. THE PUMP WAS ON AT THAT POINT AND THE WATER GUSHED EVERYWHERE UNTIL HE SHUT IT OFF AT THE BREAKER. WE THEN REPLACED THE PIPE THE NEXT DAY...ALLOWED TIME FOR THE SEALANT TO DRY AND THE TURNED THE PUMP BACK ON. AT THIS POINT THE TANK WAS EMPTY. WE LEFT IT RUN ALL NIGHT AND IN THE MORNING THERE WAS STILL NOT A DROP OF WATER PUMPED INTO THE TANK.
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

Hi again

Ok the pump will have to be primed

To do this you will have to take the pipe off or if you can find a fitting at the discharge of the pump take it off

The easiest thing to do is take the discharge pipe off and fill the pump with water

It will have to go quite a ways at least past where it broke

Put as much water as you can in the pump not the line you took off

This should give it enough to prime itself

Remember it has to be the discharge it will be the pipe that goes to the tank

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC. YOU SAID FILL THE 'PUMP' WITH WATER. DID U MEAN THE 'TANK' THAT HOLDS THE WATER USUALLY? AND THE DISCHARGE PIPE, IS IT A PIPE THAT COMES FROM THE PUMP TO THE TANK? OR FROM THE TANK TO UNDERGROUND?
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

OK how many pipes go under ground ?

There should be 2 pipes going to the pump where do they go ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: THERE IS A PIPE ON THE LEFT THAT COMES UP OUT THE GROUND, INTO THE PUMP...THEN THERE'S A PIPE THAT COMES OUT THE PUMP AND GOES INTO THE TANK...THEN THERE'S A PIPE THE COMES OUT THE TANK ON THE RIGHT AND CONTINUES INTO THE GROUND...I PRESUME THAT IS THE PIPE THAT TAKES THE WATER INTO THE HOUSE.
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

Ok

One last question is the tank higher than the pump ? and how if you can are you going to fill the tank ?

I have this figured out i am just trying to make it easy for you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to glenn's Post: The tank is much much taller than the pump. It sits directly next to it. I have no idea how I would go about filling the tank...LOL...that's why I'm asking you for help! LOL ;-) Please advise.
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

Ok

I got you

Let's do this take the pipe going to the tank off at the tank

Now the end of the pipe going to the pump fill it with as much water as you can so it goes into the pump and fills the suction line when it's as full as you can get it put it back on the tank and start the pump

The best thing to do is borrow a hose from a neighbor if you can i know it's late

I also know that pipe isn't going to come off easy so another thing you can do is if there is a pipe plug on the tank take it off and fill the tank

Glenn, engineering tech.
Experience: over 30 years in a research and development environment/ journeyman electrician