Deborah, Research Analyst
Experience:  Past President of City Garden Club, Hobbies of Gardening, Mom/Grandma, International Cooking
Type Your Question Here...

How do I fix a potato salad disaster where I put too much

Customer Question

While making enough potato salad for 50 people, I mistakenly added entirely too much mustart & now it's ruined. How do I counter-act the mustard flavor so hopefully some will be eaten.
Category: General
Expert:  Deborah replied 9 years ago.

My family owns several restaurants in NYC. I called one of the chefs and he suggested to rinse the potatoes in a collander with luke warm water, drain well and re-do the dressing. (mayo and what other condiments you used).

He stated this is the only way to to salvage the potato salad so it will not be a total waste. There is nothing that can be done to alter the potato salad as it is. Adding any spices would ruin the salad. Nothing else would tone done the taste.

His other suggestion was to cook more potatoes, adding it to the batch you have already. You would then add more mayo, etc.m but leave out the mustard. He said this may be tricky to accomplish because he is unsure how strong a mustard taste is present.

Please let me know if you have questions.