Ramesh, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Bachelor degree in Commerce.
Type Your Question Here...

How do you stop a sweater from shedding lint I have a ...

Customer Question

How do you stop a sweater from shedding lint? I have a black sweater that sheds black lint everytime I wear it.
Category: General
Expert:  Ramesh replied 10 years ago.

I made an info request earlier. However, I give the answer here which you would find useful hopefully.

Some instructions on lint removal:

You have to air out your sweater after wearing it, to remove any body moisture and body odor. Shake the sweater to remove any fluff or dust after each use. Do not hang your sweater as the self-weight could deshape it. Remove any fuzz balls carefully with small scissors. Do not store sweater in plastic as this prevents breathing.

Also see the link below for washing instructions:

I hope this answer helps. If you still need any information please do not hesitate to ask me.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Ramesh's Post: No - this does not answer my question. The sweater has been washed and air dried. There are no lint balls to remove.
Expert:  Ramesh replied 10 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome back.

Thanks for your response. I am giving you an answer here, that will tell you how, lint shedding can be stopped.

You will need a lint roller. Run it all over your sweater while keeping it flat on your bed or something. That should collect most of the loose hairs and thus stops lint shedding considerably.

If you do not have a lint roller, you could try wrapping, masking tape around your hand and doing the same thing on your sweater.

Also spray the sweater lightly with static guard right before you use it. (You can buy a static guard from a nearby departmental stores/super market.) This will arrest the static electricity on the sweater and stops lint shedding to some extent.

The above steps could largely stop lint shedding. Also please follow the link below where some ladies discuss the lint shedding problem and possible remedies.

I hope this information will be useful. Please click accept, if you are satisfied with this answer. Your positive feedback is valuable.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Ramesh's Post: The lint shedding is on both the inside and outside of the sweater. There is no visible lint to remove, but when I wear it, the fibers are all over my shirt.

I've already tried airing, washing and rolling the lint. There are no visible signs of shedding until it is worn or if I hold it against me.
Expert:  Ramesh replied 10 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome back.

Thank you for giving response. Perhaps you have not fully gone through the link which I have given in my previous post. I understood your problem completely and had suggested a few remedies, when the sweater was in use. I would list them here again.

Instructions for lint stopping when the sweater is in use:

1. Spray with a static guard just before you wear it. This will stop the sweater from shedding lint on your clothes.

2. Though it might look a bit desperate, you can try the following.

Please spray your sweater with a hair spray and it will not be sticky also. This will definitely work.

I hope this will clear your problem. If you are satisfied, please click on accept button, which will reward my time and effort.