Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u, Philomath
Experience:  Handyman - Electronics - Master Gardener - Teacher - Graphic - Buyer - Photographer - Maintenance
1468671
Type Your Question Here...

how to repair an electric fence charger

the led bargraph on my electric fence charger that inticates the strenth of the voltage is slowly showing less charge. I assume the capacitor is weakening or some other compontent. Any ideas?
Category: General
Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 8 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the make and model?

Is it in use when the indication of low power is being displayed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Thanks for the reply
The charger is made in Canada By Hallan 120volt, Shur Shock model 2850. Yes it's in use when the bargraph show less charger. When the charger was new the bargraph led light almost to the high side. Now after about 3 years use the graph has dropped off to about 1/3 from the low end. I figure probably some internal electronics are breaking down, but would like a little advice on how to repair the charger. I use it to keep wild life (deer) out of the garden. In the fall the deer challenge the fence. They're hungier and have thicker coats to insulate them from shocks.
Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 8 years ago.

The first thing I would advise you to do is unhook the connection to the fence. If the bargraph returns close to where it was when it new, there is a problem with the insulators or something making contact with the fence. It well could be a storage capacitor, but normally they do not sell parts for them. They often will have electronics that have no information on them to identify what their value is. Then it can become a guessing game to figure out what the part's value is. Many times they encase them in epoxy or like products to limit access to them. Needless to say they make their repair very challenging. Often the only way to fix them is trial and error. I can remember working one many years ago, that i had set so high, it would knock you down if you got closer than 6 inches away from it. It made a real pretty blue glow around the wire on humid nights. Check the charger while it is not connected to the fence. If it reads higher the charger is not the problem. If it still reads low, open it up, tell me what you see, and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Hi again
yes I did try disconnecting the charger from the fence and the bargraph showed the same value so I know the fence isn't grounded. I'll try your suggestion when I put the garden to bed for the winter. Do you have an info on what the voltage out put should be on a consumer 120 volt charger?
thanks
Expert:  Rsposta4u replied 8 years ago.

Normally they produce 8KV plus or minus 2KV with no load.

Rsposta4u, Philomath
Experience: Handyman - Electronics - Master Gardener - Teacher - Graphic - Buyer - Photographer - Maintenance