Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u, Philomath
Experience:  Handyman - Electronics - Master Gardener - Teacher - Graphic - Buyer - Photographer - Maintenance
1468671
Type Your Question Here...

How do you run a spelling bee in an elementary school

I am a 5th grade teacher and would like to conduct a spelling bee in my school. I'm not sure how to go about it and set it up.

Advertise in advance(fliers), get the kids and parents excited about it. Have a great reward. Find judges to set on a panel and score answers. Get your spelling list ready. Write down specific rules. Clearly state them.Have an approximate time frame. Have a good moderator.Clear the time, place and date with school.Make sure you get a good crown in the audience. Invite parents, other teachers, friends, family PTA etc.Keep it fun. Sometimes a good theme with decorations works well.

Let me know if you need specific help.

Please remember to ACCEPT my answer and leave feedback! Thank-you so mucn, justerri

Terri, Nurse, parent, cousnselor
Experience: Nurse, mother of 5, psychology, communications,31 years married,homemaker
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I'd like additional information from others who've implemented a spelling bee.

Terry did offerer you very good information. I will expand on her information an provide you some additional links. As a retired teacher I can add the following.

Spelling Bees can be fun for all involved. Planning is very important. Many weeks before the contest, it is good to let the children and parents know about the up coming Spelling Bee. Have the children prepaid posters about the Spelling Bee, for the school to display. Send several letters, notes, fliers, to the parents making them aware of the Spelling Bee. Often the community can help with businesses making donations for prizes, awards and such. Some may even print advertisements for the Spelling Bee. Getting parents involved will lessen the burden on the teacher arranging the Spelling Bee. Working in teams to organize the Bee will allow less work to be put on one individual. Click here for a sample of rules for a Spelling Bee. It is very important to get students, faculty and the community involved.

http://www.spellingbee.com/

http://www.dpssemantics.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_bee

Rsposta4u, Philomath
Experience: Handyman - Electronics - Master Gardener - Teacher - Graphic - Buyer - Photographer - Maintenance