Lori
Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
260309
Type Your Question Here...

old china

Customer Question

My husbands family has passed on a a plate, that is labeled lowestoft circa 1725, so I checked into the history of the family, but let me describe the the plate The scene on the plate is of the baptism of christ with John the baptist and it says something that is hard to discern,but after looking it says matt 3:16. The people on the plate all look like oriental with christian ideas. It is gold, orange, cream, there is no labe or stamp on the underside.   My husband family was invoved with the East and West India trading company. So my question is how do I veryify the authenticity of the plate and maybe the value of the plate.
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
If you have a museum in your town, having someone there look at it would be an option, or taking it to an auction appraiser or fine arts dealer in your city. You may have to be a nominal fee for an appraisal - let them know you want the appraisal for insurance purposes as it is a family piece. This way, you will get an accurate appraisal as they know you are not selling, and will not try to take advantage of you. Some places will undervalue items if they think they are for sale, knowing they can pick them up cheaply and resell them. Anyone dealing in FINE arts should be able to assist. You really can't get a true estimate online or via a picture. An appraiser needs to handle the object in order to check for flaws or imperfections. One other place to check is with your insurance agent for your home owners or renters insurance. They should be able to give you the name of the company or person they work with on appraisals. Good luck!
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: Dear Lori,
Thank you for your hard work, I have come to the same conclusion my self. I can tell you did some research. I have done many of research my self but I didn't know that I could trust anyone the dealers in this area, also I asked the same question twice because I wasn't sure that it went thru the first time.
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Hi Cathryn--thank you so much for the vote of confidence! I would be very interested in knowing what you end up finding out about your piece. It sounds lovely and interesting and you may have a real 'find'! You can email or pm me to keep me updated. I'm curious now! You don't need to reply to this - I just wanted to thank you for the accept as well as the bonus!