John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Math, science and 25 years experience in computer programming
53785
Type Your Question Here...

Is there a chart you can use to figure out a 5 % discount

I need a chart to figure out a 5 % discount.For instance if somebody buys $225.00 of food how much would a 5 % discount be???
Category: General
Expert:  John D replied 8 years ago.

5% is the same as 5 divided by 100 (or 5/100). So 5% of a number is XXXXX of that number, or 5/100 times the number.

Hence 5% of 225 = 5/100 * 225 = 1125/100 = 11.25

Similarly 5% of 60 = 5/100 * 60 = 300/100 = 3

If you need a chart, post the list of numbers you want to find the 5% of and will post back the chart.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to John D.'s Post: I need a chart that starts with 1 dollar to 500 dollars something like a multiplication table would be very,very helpful.I work at a grocery store and i need a chart that will fit on a regular 8x 10 1/2 paper and rouded to the nearest dollar.I hope u understand what i need.Thanks in advance....Mel..:-)
Expert:  John Baker replied 8 years ago.

I can tell you a very easy way to figure percentages.

Take 100 and ten percent of it is 10

1000 ten percent of it is 100.

All you have to do is move the decimal point over one digit.

To figure 5% just halve the 10%

10% of 142464 is 14246.4 and half of that is 7123.2 and is equal 5%

Does that make it easer or do you need a chart?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: I need a chart i want it easy to figure out.A friend i know made one one time with colums i belive.But that was over 4 years ago and i never saved a copy of it.And it had how much 5% of 1 dollar was to the right 2 dollars and so fourth............
Expert:  John D replied 8 years ago.
Is it ok to prepare the chart in Excel or MS Word, or just an image file?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to John D.'s Post: a word file would be nice as long as i can print it out on one sheet of paper i dont have excel.Sorry can i also preview first?
Expert:  John D replied 8 years ago.

OK. Here is an image file which you can save and print. Take a look at it and tell me if you still need it in word.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience: Math, science and 25 years experience in computer programming