John Baker
John Baker, Electronics Tech
Experience:  30 Plus years Electronic Tech - 50 + Years Handy Man - 50+ years Gardner - Researcher - Home Owner -
Type Your Question Here...

Why does boiling carrots turn the water green

Customer Question

When boiling baby carrots, the water I use turns green. Why is that?
Category: General
Expert:  John Baker replied 10 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

-The water always turns green?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

I have cooked carrots for many years. Canned, fresh, baby, dehydrated whole sliced and shredded. I have never had the water be even the slightest shade of green. I have cooked them in glass, aluminum, stainless, enameled, and Teflon coated cookware. The only coloration of the water I have ever observed was maybe a slight orange/yellow/ brown appearance, which is from the high carotene content of the carrots. I could only guess that the color may be coming from something else besides the carrots. I just talked to a lady that cooks carrots just about every day and she also has never experienced green water cooking carrots.

Interesting and possible not well known carrot facts