Lori
Lori, Research Analyst
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
260309
Type Your Question Here...

moving to the united states to live.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX am a british citizen and my husband is american.We have been married for over a year we are currently living in the united arab emirates and have been for the last seven years. We now wish to return to the states to live my husband will be setting up his own business, I how ever am not sure what i have to do to 1, enter the u.s.a. 2, when will I be allowed to work,3is it better to go to the states and start the process there or do i need to start the ball rolling now.4, I dont know how to drive can i learn when I get there or do i have to wait untill i am a citizen.
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

Hi Carmel-

My husband is also a british citizen. The best thing for you and your husband to do is to contact an immigration attorney once you get to the US. When my husband came over, he came on a tourist's VISA and we decided to marry before he went back. An attorney filed all the paperwork for us. It is somewhat time consuming and you want to make sure you do the paperwork correctly so they don't send you back to the UK! You can get a driver's license as soon as you have been approved for temporary residency, usually 30 days after starting the paperwork. It cost us about $1,000 for all the paperwork that is required along with attorney fees. Your husband, being a citizen, needs his passport, and I believe you just need an I-90 - but please, check with someone in the city you will be staying in. There are immigration offices in most of the larger cities and attorneys available to help.