How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lori Your Own Question
Lori, Research Analyst
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 4131
Experience:  General Information and Online Research
Type Your Question Here...
Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

moving to the united states to live.

Resolved Question:

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX am a british citizen and my husband is american.We have been married for over a year we are currently living in the united arab emirates and have been for the last seven years. We now wish to return to the states to live my husband will be setting up his own business, I how ever am not sure what i have to do to 1, enter the u.s.a. 2, when will I be allowed to work,3is it better to go to the states and start the process there or do i need to start the ball rolling now.4, I dont know how to drive can i learn when I get there or do i have to wait untill i am a citizen.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

Hi Carmel-

My husband is also a british citizen. The best thing for you and your husband to do is to contact an immigration attorney once you get to the US. When my husband came over, he came on a tourist's VISA and we decided to marry before he went back. An attorney filed all the paperwork for us. It is somewhat time consuming and you want to make sure you do the paperwork correctly so they don't send you back to the UK! You can get a driver's license as soon as you have been approved for temporary residency, usually 30 days after starting the paperwork. It cost us about $1,000 for all the paperwork that is required along with attorney fees. Your husband, being a citizen, needs his passport, and I believe you just need an I-90 - but please, check with someone in the city you will be staying in. There are immigration offices in most of the larger cities and attorneys available to help.

Lori and 52 other General Specialists are ready to help you