Ryan
Ryan, Professional Researcher
Experience:  I only answer questions I'm 100% confident in. If you got an answer from me it's because I know it!
Type Your Question Here...

There was an old song that I remember someone singing many ...

There was an old song that I remember someone singing many many years ago. I can only remember one line from it. I'm hoping that someone else remembers it, too.

"Elijah was a wooden Indian, standing over by the door."

Who sang it? What year? What's the name?
Category: General
Expert:  Stephen replied 8 years ago.
Finally -- thought that lock would never go away. ;)

The song is called Kaw-Liga. The g is pronounced with a soft J
hence the common mistake of thinking that the name is Elijah.

The song was written by Hank Williams and Fred Rose and sung by Loretta Lynn.

Here is a link to the lyrics .

http://www.lyricsstyle.com/l/lorettalynn/kawliga.html

Hope this helps.

Stephen, The Lone Coder
Experience: Bible expert. Polyglot (Chinese, English, Spanish). Play well with Google.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
That's the one! Thanks Stephen!

Anyone want to go one step further and tell me some other songs that would have been popular at that same time? Unfortunately, it was before MY time.

I'm making a CD for my father's birthday tomorrow and that song is one that I remember him singing long ago.

I'm definitely going to use Kaw-liga but I would like to add some different artist/songs to it, too.

Any ideas?
Expert:  Ryan replied 8 years ago.

Hi Tammy,

It depends on which version you want.... Hank Williams originally recorded it in 1952, and it was released 6 months after his death on New Year's Eve. However, it reached #1 ten years later when Charlie Pride recorded it again.

So I guess it depends on which version you are looking for, as to what other music was popular at the time.

Ryan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ryan's Post:

My dad was born in 52 so that's the version I want. Found it on itunes so I'm all square on that. Now I just need some suggestions on what else to put on the CD.

Any experts born around that time? Have suggestions on what to put on the CD?

Expert:  Ryan replied 8 years ago.

Are you wanting someone who personally remembers good songs from 1953?

I can provide you with the top hits for the year, even broken down by type of music. But I don't know the songs personally, a little before my time...

Ryan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Ryan's Post:

I think I'm most interested in songs from around the same time period as the Kaw-liga song came out, or at least within that decade. County music or old fashioned (not screaming) rock and roll would be most appreciated.

Expert:  Ryan replied 8 years ago.

The top R&B and Country his of 1953 are the following:

• The Clock - Joynny Ace w/Beale Streeters

• Crazy Man Crazy - Bill Haley

• Crying in the Chapel - The Orioles

• Good Lovin - The Clovers

• Hound Dog - Big Mama Thornton

• Mama (He treats your Daughter Mean) - XXXXX XXXXX

• Please Don't Leave Me - Fats Domino

• Shake a Hand - Faye Adams

• Your Cheatin Heart - Hank Williams

The #1 hits of the year were the following, in this order:

• Don't let the Stars Get in Your Eyes - Perry Como

• Till I Waltz Again with You - Teresa Brewer

• The Doggie in the Window - Patti Page

• Song from Moulin Rouge - Percy Faith

• I'm Walking Behind You - Eddie Fisher

• Vaya Con Dios - Les Paul & Mary Ford

• St. George and the Dragonet - Stan Freberg

• Vaya Con Dios - Les Paul & Mary Ford (Hit #1 again)

• Rags to Riches - XXXXX XXXXX

Did you need any more than this, Tammy? What you were looking for?

Ryan

Ryan, Professional Researcher
Experience: I only answer questions I'm 100% confident in. If you got an answer from me it's because I know it!