Bethany
Bethany, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Scholarly research and fact checking; Exec. Dir. of non-profit; business owner; trivia fan
452572
Type Your Question Here...

Can you use Windex spray cleaner on a New home tanning bed

Customer Question

Can you use Windex spray cleaner on a New home tanning bed? Is the windex safe to use one the glass or do you have to use special cleaner?
Category: General
Expert:  Bethany replied 8 years ago.
You should never, EVER clean the acrylic surface on any tanning bed (or any acrylic surface) with glass cleaners.   This is because most glass cleaners have ammonia in them, which will fog up the acrylic surface over time. Generally, you can clean the outside of a tanning bed (the metal or plastic shell) with glass cleaner but it is still better to use a damp sponge.

The clear shields on every tanning bed (except in the canopy of some less expensive home Wolff home systems) are called "acrylics" because that is the actual material it is made of. It is very different than plexiglass, which the material is commonly mistaken for. Plexiglass filters out UV and does not allow much to pass through. Acrylic is a very special polymer that allows both visable and UV light to pass through. This is why it is used on tanning beds. UV causes acrylic to break down over time, and using ammonia will dramatically speed up this process. After about 1000-3000 tanning sessions, the acrylics need to removed and stripped down with a mildly abrasive cleaner such as "Novus #2" to remove this layer of broken down material.

Although the acrylics may LOOK perfectly clear to the eye, they are actually blocking much of the UV coming from the system, and reducing the effeciency of the tanning bed.   The Novus #2 should be used on both sides of both acrylics in order to strip this layer off.

What you SHOULD use to clean your tanning bed acrylics is an approved disinfectant.   Lucasol is one brand, Sanibed is another, but there are many private labeled versions of similar products. These products are made to be 100% safe for the acrylic, and are listed with the FDA as a "disinfectant", which is another good reason to use them. Another good reason is that they are less expensive than glass cleaner. Most acrylic cleaning solutions are shipped to you in concentrate form, and will make 8 to 16 gallons of solution for about $10 to $20. This is significantly less expensive than most glass cleaners, and won't cause damage to your acrylics.

FROM: tanningbeds.org