xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965
Type Your Question Here...

Critical Thinking (Problem Solving) Question

Customer Question

XXXXX, XXXXXson, and Cohen live in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx (not necessarily in that order). They are flying to NYC in a jet whose pilot, copilot, and navigator are named Smythe, Jenson, and Kohn (again, not necessarily respectively). It is known that:

a - Cohen lives in the Bronx.
b - Johnson is deaf and mute
c - Smythe had a brief fling with the copilot's wife
d - The passenger whose name sounds like the navigator's lives in Brooklyn. The navigator, however, lives in Manhattan.
e - The navigator's next-door neighbor, one of the passengers, is a famous opera singer.

What are the positions of Smythe, Jenson, and Kohn? (Hint: There are four sets of information. Two matricies might be useful.)

Can you explain the methods and solution?

I believe I have this 1/2 way figured out. I am stuck and I need help!! Thanks :)
Category: General
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Kohn is the copilot
Jensen is the navigator
Smythe is the pilot.

1. From (e) if the navigator lives next-door to the singer, and
from (d) we know that the navigator lives in Manhattan, we know
that the singer lives in Manhattan. Since Cohen lives in the
Bronx, and Johnson is tone-deaf, Smith must be the singer and
live in Manhattan.

2. That means that Johnson must live in Brooklyn.

3. From (d), we know that the navigator must be Jensen,
since it is Johnson who lives in Brooklyn.

4. From (c), we know that Smythe is not the copilot. He (or she!)
is not the navigator either, since that is Jensen. Smythe is
therefore the pilot
.

5. Kohn, by exclusion, must be the copilot.
xarqi, Generalist
Experience: 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: You are amazing. I have been working on this for 2 days trying to figure it out. It took you only a little time. WOW!
Thank you so much.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
You are very welcome. Thanks for the acceptance and the
bonus.

xarqi
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: I just viewed my email receipts. I sent you a $5.00 bonus thinking that you get all of it. The 5$ payment I know Just Answer takes some, the bonus I thought was all for you. That stinks. Now I remember why I don't answer as a specialist anymore.

Unfortunately, if I ever need this service again, I don't think I will give bonuses - they should go to the specialist, not to the site (the site get's paid from the value of the question).
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
My thoughts exactly. The handling of bonuses is perhaps the
aspect of the fee structure that I find most ethically indefensible.
I have argued this with the management ad nauseam, but to no
avail.