NancyH
NancyH, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Adept at Internet Research & I know just where to find information!
127115
Type Your Question Here...

lost on how to do this

Customer Question

i have a wwII typed confession from a german soldier that was head of the biggest camp out there from austria. it a very long letter and has important names and dates, and deaths that were carried out. i know this could be made into something and make a lot of money. so how do i go about it
Category: General
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You could see if an auction house like Sothebys or Christies would give you an estimate on its value. I would suggest photoing the item and sending pictures rather than copying the letter due to the potential fade of inks or paper from copy machine lights.
This link takes you to a free estimate of value (not suitable for insurance purposes)at Sothebys
http://search.sothebys.com/about/contact/as_auctionest.html
and this link tells you how to contact Christies auction house to sell an item
http://www.christies.com/howtosell/overview.asp?DID=10
First thing is to get an estimate from more than one expert and then you decide if you will be selling the item or not.
This may have more historical value than monetary value. But sometimes even a historic item can be of financial help to you if you donate it to a museum or college or other such institution so that you can write it off against your taxes. Here is one museum that might be interested http://www.ushmm.org/
Hope this helps you!
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

This was a great crime. I would hope that you would want to bring this matter to the attention of the High Commissioner of War Crimes to investigate, if this hasn't already been done.

Certainly, if you wish to make a profit off of this, there are those who could be approached to write a book and/or for this to be turned into a movie/documentary. Television news shows such as 60 minutes, Dateline, the Today Show, Good Morning America. Contacting the television news media, ABC, CBS, NBC, or any news journalist.

If this is in fact authentic, you may very well be offered money.

You can review the links below for additional information (re: reporting to High Commissioner and links to various sites regarding the Holocaust - perhaps of interest):

Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights

Hundred's of Links's to Jewish Holocaust with thousands of links to Jewish everything worldwide...

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to TheMysticWave's Post: i do not understand about this high commisioner and contacting the new reporters are impossible do you have any other information because this does not really answer my question
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to NHolmes's Post: an auction house would mean to sell it and i dont want to do that. i am keeping itbut as i said before it could worth a movie deal or book, and i would only allow that to happen. do you have any other ifnformation because an auction house will be the way i would not want to go about this.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
One way to start 'buzz' about the letter would be to get it appraised. I'd be tempted to only send in the last page of the letter with the signature on it and explain you have X number more pages of information in the letter. Getting it authenticated and getting interest in it would be a first step. You don't have to sell just because someone gives you an idea of value.
Getting buzz started can raise interest and maybe bring people to you instead of you seeking them out.
If you relook at your question you will see you did not ask for info on how to get a book or movie deal from your letter just how to make money from it. But here is some help anyhow with that second question.
Of the big screen people who might be interested would be Steven Spielberg (Schindlers' List) for whom I found contact information here
http://www.mrboy.com/spielberg/contact.html
" Be warned- an answer is a long time coming in most cases, and usually you will get a form letter returned unless you send something special.

For ALL mail contact:

Steven Spielberg
c/o DreamWorks SKG
100 Universal City Plaza
Building 477
Universal City, CA 91608 (NNN) NNN-NNNN"

The site also explains the Dreamworks policies and how to get established so they can legally discuss a script with you. If you go over to the site the links to the screenwriters etc will be active.

"DreamWorks, and every other production company, has a policy: NO UNSOLICITED SCRIPTS. This means that if you send DreamWorks a screenplay and you do not have an agent, they cannot read it because of the risk of being sued. There are two conditions for them to even consider your screenplay for production:

1. It must be registered with the Writer's Guild. This is fairly easy- simply call or e-mail the Writer's Guild for their Screenplay Registration form. You should get it in about 3-4 weeks depending on postal traffic. Then send a copy of your screenplay to the guild with the completed form and the registration fee ($15 for Students, $22 for Non-members) You can get all of the information about how to get the form and other info at the Writer's Guild's website.

2. It must be presented by an agent except under special circumstances. This is fairly easy to do as well. The Writer's Guild offers a list of the Guild's Signatory Agents and Agencies. These are agents that the Guild suggests. Really, the A-List agents are located in the (310) area code, and about half of them accept new writers. A good idea would be to call one of these agencies and get their screenwriter representation information. Most agents won't charge you until after the screenplay is sold. The information they send you will give any information about fees and commissions..

3. (Optional) Get your screenplay copyrighted. (This is not a requirement of DreamWorks, but rather a recommendation by Mr. Boy.) Technically speaking, anything is copyrighted as soon as you put your name, the date, and the word Copyright or the symbol © on it. But, you may need another leg to stand on if someone evil and nasty gets ahold of your screenplay. (I recently had a screenplay of mine stolen, so I know how this can be.) Registering for Copyright in the United States is actually remarkably easy. All you need is to fill out FORM PA With Instructions from the Copyright Office, and send it to them with a check or money order for $20. (IMPORTANT: Note the special printing instructions on the Copyright Forms page. Your form MUST be printed according to their specifications!) I also recommend reading the site's section on Copyright Law, so that you know exactly what your rights are.

If you need any help at all with what the policies are, call DreamWorks at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand talk to the Receptionist. They are usually very helpful if you ask nicely. "

If you think a book or magazine would be a better idea before the movie industry then you might want to start with finding the publishing house that has done something the most similar to what you are looking for or an author who is writing in that field. The public library can help you with that. I'd talk to the reference librarian saying you are looking for living authors of magazine articles or books who are working in the WWII field. If you don't want to go to the library you can try a bookstore to see the latest titles on the topic. Look at the author's works and see who you think might be the type of writer you want.
Then you would contact either the author or the publishing house to see if they are interested in working with you on a project around your manuscript/letter. Contact information for these entities can usually be found on the net or again at the public library with help from the reference librarian.
Hope this helps you!
By the way the letter is yours and is not public property while certain groups may have interest in the contents if you obtained it legally it is yours.

Greetings:

Perhaps I misunderstood your question then, if so, my sincerest apologies. However, you state the following:

"i have a wwII typed confession from a german soldier that was head of the biggest camp out there from austria. it a very long letter and has important names and dates, and deaths that were carried out."

I interpreted your statement/question as the letter written pertains to the "Jewish Holocaust"..(as I am reading "Confession","German", "WWII", "camp" "deaths carried out" "Austria")??? This very much sounds like the "Jewish Holocaust" to me!

Again, if I have misinterpreted, please so state. However, if I am correct, this is something that must be investigated by the High Commissioner (Office of the United Nations) as it's War Crimes!

If it is in fact true, legally, the letter will be turned over to them (unless it was already)...before you may benefit monetarily.

As I stated in my initial response, this could be turned into a book, or movie, or documentary. You can be interviewed by the media, such as ABC, CBS, NBC.

Please let me hear back from you. Our goal at "Just Answer" is to assist you properly.

Thank you kindly.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i already knew of these websites with dreamworks and i knew about going to the media. i really and truly think that both these posting have not really answered the question that i answered myself. thank you anyway for both of your time
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
When you next ask a question it will be helpful if you try to give as much information as possible. As we do not know you we cannot guess at all the things you already know unless you say something about them in your question.
The question you actually asked was answered twice over with many alternatives given.
While I'm sorry you didn't find the answers especially helpful you should relook at your question to understand why you got the answers that you did.