TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave, Researcher
Experience:  I have a vast array of knowledge due to my thirst for learning everything and all.
6999
Type Your Question Here...

recliner chair

Customer Question

What can I do to return my badly made special order lift-recliner? They say I can't send it back. What are my legal rights? I ordered this chair over the phone because I wanted a little chair because I am so short. When it arrived the back was slanted down hill from left to right. The arms aren't the same shape and the chair back is stuffed more on one side than the other. It cost me almost $1500. They want me to pay the shipping both ways and a restocking fee. I don't think this is fair because it is not my fault that the chair is such a mess. What are my legal rights? Also how much do you charge because I am on Social Security? The cost they want me to pay is $400.
Category: General
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I'm sorry for your situation. Please know that you do have consumer/legal rights.

You can send the company a letter, certified mail, return receipt requested, setting forth the reasons why you wish to return the chair. Advise them of your financial situation and let them know that if they don't resolve the matter within 15 days, that you will seek legal remedies against them and report them to the Better Business Bureau, as you have already paid for the chair and did not receive it as specifically ordered. If they do not respond within the time requested, you need to contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint (their website & information is below).

BBB

In addition, you can consult with an attorney. Being that you are on Social Security, I would advise that you consult with Legal Aid - if they cannot help you, as they are selective, they may be able to refer you to other legal counsel. Or, you can consult with the State Bar in your area. See below for the link to the State Bar of Missouri and Legal Aid:

Missouri State Bar Association

Legal Services of Missouri

Also, please know that the policy for using this site is that one must place a $5.00 deposit in which to review the responses - and set a dollar value if one wishes to accept a response....(which you have already done in the sum of $25). I refer you to the site's customer page Just Answer! Customer Service to help explain in further detail. If you have any questions concerning payment, you can consult with the administrator of the site at the following email address: [email protected]

If you wish for further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave