Vickie
Vickie, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I love researching on the internet, son has BS in computers, I love helping people if I can.
50711
Type Your Question Here...

hearing

Customer Question

if you ware hearing aids and the dr tell you that you will hear better if he puts the so far in your ears that it hurts and you cant hear better is it true the more in your ear the better you hear
Category: General
Expert:  Tammy replied 11 years ago.

If it's farther in your ear, you might be able to hear better but it should not hurt.

If it hurts, you need to discuss this with your doctor and either have it refitted or come up with a better solution.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to tfalkner's Post: you are saying it might make me hear better but it doesnt these are new ones and my 7 year old ones i can hear better but do need new ones but he just cant seem to get them right i tried digal didnt work hr went to analog now and they are not working right in fit or hearing the ones i have now as i said are 7 years old and i hear better with them been working with this hearing aid dr now sense jan 12 still not right have never had this trouble with a hearing aid before
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Tammy replied 11 years ago.

If you can hear better with your old hearing aid, let your doctor know and feel free to switch back.

You have to stick with what works!

If your new hearing aid is causing pain, it needs to be adjusted or refitted so that it won't.

You don't have to trade your comfort so that you can hear.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to tfalkner's Post: the old ones are not working as they should so i do need new ones but very strange to me this dr cant get the new ones right i guess thhe best thing is to find an other dr that can make them right
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

Are you seeing an actual Medical Doctor -- or at least a hearing aid specialist who works under a Doctor's supervision?

I ask this because there may be some kind of medical problem which is
causing the pain you get when the new aids are inserted deeply.

Also, sometimes people's hearing problems (or fitting problems) are so
complicated that they need to see a medical specialist to get good
results.

And, no matter who you've been seeing -- it's time to see someone else
for a second opinion.  Take both your old and new aids with you.

And don't pay for your new aids (or demand your money back) if they don't work to your satisfaction -- and comfort.

Here
is a list of Ear, Nose and Throat Physicians in your area -- if
theydon't do hearing aids, they should be able to refer you to s\a
local physician who does.

Good Luck!

Steve

Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I would have to say no - It seems that if this procedure hurt you and the doctor paid no heed to you stating so, there's something wrong with the doctor. This may have caused more damage.

You might wish to check out the make/model of the hearing aid that you currently have and contact the manufacturer - more than likely you will be able to get information from them as to whether the model is still being made and, if so, ask how you can purchase another pair - or perhaps they can refer you to a doctor in your area for whom they have shipped a supply to so you can consult with them.

Or, perhaps you can find out if they have a similar model if the one you currently have is no longer being made - they should be able to assist you, accordingly - if not, please seek another doctor.

If you wish for further information, please let me know.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Your hearing loss may have worsened over time -- and hearing aid
technology (and miniaturization) advances over time.  because of
these factors,I believe the advice -- given you above by my colleague
TheMysticWave -- to get a brand-new 'copy' of your original hearing aid
is unwise.

I stand by my original advice -- namely that you should get a second opinion,
ideally from a medical doctor specializing in hearing loss or from a
hearing aid specialist practicing under medical supervision.

Good Luck!

Steve

Greetings again:

I am not here to compete with other specialists in which to answer your question...yet, I believe whatever response resonates with you should be the better answer.

Let me say this, I don't believe that any patient that advises their doctor that they are in pain and the doctor refuses to listen, is a qualified doctor. This is my opinion - and mine only perhaps.

Thus, of my own opinion, of my own knowledge, of reasonable logic, if you are in discomfort, if you are in pain, if you are not getting any positive response from your current doctor, it is best to seek another medical opinion. As well, the most important - the key to all of this - is to HEAR.....thus, if you can hear with the aid that you have now (concerning the model in particular) - I would have you refer to my original post above.

Naturally, logically - it's important for you to be treated by a physician concerning your condition - and I never implied otherwise.

If "you" have any questions concerning my response, please let me know - I will be happy to clarify for "you" and provide additional information.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
you told me nothing i didnt already know so if this is how you do business i will not use you again ty

I'm sorry you did not find the responses helpful. 

We told you that -- although you might hear better if a hearing aid is
placed deeper in the ear canal -- wearing a hearing aid should not be
painful.

We also recommended some steps to take to get your situation resolved -- meaning that:

A hearing aid should not be painful to wear, and

It should provide maximum hearing benefit to you, and

You are not obligated to pay for a hearing aid which does not work or is painful to wear, and

That your first step in resolving your situation should be getting a
second opinion -- preferably from a hearing aid specialist who does
business under medical supervision.

If you have questions about any of this advice -- please let us know.

Likewise, if you need additional information or advice regarding your situation -- please let us know what you need.

We would very much like to help you -- but at this point, we need additional input from you in order to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

I agree completely with oreport above, It appears to me that your questions were answered in a professional manor, and with informed knowledge due to the information that was given. If you are not getting the answers that you are looking for then maybe you need to rephrase your question so we may get a better idea of what you are looking for. We are "specialists", not mind readers, and sometimes you need to be more specific if a specific answer is what you are looking for. It is to bad you feel this way as I believe that oreport was genuinely trying to help. I would urge you to think about your question and try again.

Good Luck to you!