Type Your Question Here...

I have an elevated AST 180 and an elevated WBC 17.5 why

Customer Question

have had lower abdominal pain and temps at times. going on for 3 months
Category: General
Expert:  nenemay88 replied 12 years ago.
Hey,I couldn't find any specific thing with all three symptoms together. but I did look for both elevated AST and WBC and found this out.

When an organ (such as the heart or liver) or body tissue is diseased or damaged, additional AST is released into the bloodstream. The amount of AST in the blood is directly related to the extent of the tissue damage. After severe damage, AST levels rise in 6 to 10 hours and remain high for about 4 days. The AST test may be done at the same time as a test for alanine aminotransferase, or ALT. (See Alanine Aminotransferase test.) The ratio of AST to ALT (AST:ALT) sometimes can help determine whether the liver or another organ has been damaged. AST also can help determine the cause of the liver damage. Both ALT and AST levels are reliable indicators of liver damage.
A test for AST is done to:

Help diagnose liver disease, especially hepatitis and cirrhosis. Liver disease may produce symptoms such as pain in the upper abdomen, nausea, vomiting, and, sometimes, jaundice.
Monitor recovery from or treatment for liver disease.
Very high levels (10 to 20 times greater than normal) of aspartate aminotransferase (AST) can indicate recent or severe liver damage (hepatitis caused by a viral infection or drug overdose), a large tumor that is decaying (necrosis), or shock.
Moderately high levels (5 to 10 times greater than normal) of AST can indicate a heart attack or heart failure, kidney or lung damage, liver damage (such as from cirrhosis), mononucleosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, some types of cancer, or a rare autoimmune disease that affects muscles (myositis).
AST levels may be high when a disease first develops (which is often when tissue damage is most severe). Decreasing levels of AST in the blood may be a sign of recovery from the disease or injury.
Many conditions may cause elevated AST levels, including severe burns, traumatic injuries, pulmonary embolism, or heat exhaustion and heatstroke. Ingestion of poisonous mushrooms also may cause elevated AST levels.

I couldn't find to much about elevated WBC, but I did find that High WBC levels are usually associated with leukemia, but I'm not sure what else.

My suggestion is that you call your doctor right away, and tell him what is going on with you, and ask him about taking a AST and ALT test. The ALT will help find if you have some kind of liver damage.

I really hope this information helps you a lot, I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless

Expert:  Maestra replied 12 years ago.
An elevated AST along with an elevated WBC can be a sign on mononucleosis or chronic appendicitis. It could actually be a number of things. What other results did you get?

Along with the WBC, you should have gotten a WBC differential. This diffferentiates the kinds of white blood cells into categories; lymphs, segmented neutrophils, bands, monoscytes, eosinophils, basophils, etc. If you had mono, the differential would show an increase in atypical lymphocytes (NOT monocytes. Appendicitis would show an increase in segmented neutrophils, and usually an increase in bands.

AST (This used to be called SGOT) is indeed elevated with liver disease, which can be elevated in hepatitis and mono. AST is an enzyme released by damage to organ cells.

I would not worry at this stage about leukemia. Unless you are being treate for leukemia already, leukemia patients, before treatment often have WBC counts over 50,000.

The normal range for WBC is 5,000-10,000, usually reported as 5.0-10.0 Yours would be reported as 17.5, typically. Some poeple have transient rises in WBC when they are fighting off an infection. Usually, they are not even aware of it!

More information would be needed to better figure out what COULD causing your values. A differential, ALT, Alk Phos, Calcium, Potassium,RBC, MCV, Hct, Hgb, and RBC indices.

Good Luck!