A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

Can you check on my father's side of my family? His name is

Customer Question

Can you check on my father's side of my family? His name is***** His dad was born in Romania, his mom in Ukraine. His dad was Conrad Siewert, his mom Katherine Schmidt.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Genealogy
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Katherine was born in 1899 I believe
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

I'll see what I can find for you. No response is necessary; I'll be back with you before Sunday.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you!! I greatly appreciate your help!

This didn't take very long at all.

In the 1911 census, Katherine Schmidt and her parents are listed as "Evangelical."

In the 1916 census for Saskatchewan, Conrad Sieward[sic], age 26, born in Romania, immigrated in 1910, is listed as Lutheran.

Conrad and Katherine were married 18 January 1918 in Yorkton, Saskatchewan. You could try to obtain their marriage record. It might list religion, and it could also contain the names of their parents. The date is from cemetery information at www.findagrave.com:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=132228743

It doesn't look like they were Jewish either.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Is there anything in their respective countries listing them Jewish?

Katherine Schmidt was the daughter of George and Mary Martha [nee Schmidt] Schmidt. George was the son of Johann Ludwig Schmidt and Marie Elisabetha Katrina Wick. All 4 of them were Lutheran.

There is nothing on Conrad Siewert (any spelling) at all.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
In those days/times, Jews hid their identity and faked conversion to other religions such as catholic/Lutheran. Is there a way to find out this detail about them?

There is only whatever records that are available and "secrets" would not be recorded. On the Schmidt side there are church records going back to the early 1800s.

As I said, there is no record available of the birth of Conrad Siewert. Records in Russia/Poland/Romania sometimes don't exist because they have been destroyed in the wars fought there.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I wonder if there are any records in Germany for my grandpa, because I think my dad said grandpa emigrate to Canada from there?
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 23 days ago.

I had already checked that, of course. There is no record of a Conrad Siewert (any spelling) in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia, Prussia, Russia, etc. I'd never tell you that there was nothing more available without having checked first.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Okay, I wasn't meaning to imply that. I just really wonder what has happened to the documents. Perhaps they were destroyed in war. How sad. I just need one document to verify my Jewish roots. I know beyond doubt, just don't understand why documents aren't forthcoming.

I don't know either why the documents just aren't there. It's quite possible they were destroyed in one of the world wars. So many, many records were.

Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 21 days ago.

I would suggest you check the most recent marriage records to see where grandparents were married, for instance. There are no records online that indicate that either side of the family was Jewish.