A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

I am trying to find records of my grandfather Ernst Radicke

Customer Question

I am trying to find records of my grandfather Ernst Radicke born 1890 in Germany. Family tells story of how his family owned a chocolate factory near Dresden but left all behind when he came to Australia in 1909. Ernst's father was Hugo. I have looked everywhere and can't find his birth or family in Germany, not a trace.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Do you know who Ernst's mother was?

Did he have siblings?

Do you have a precise date of birth for Ernst or only that it was sometime in 1890?

Do you know what city he was born in?

Thanks :-)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ernst's mother was Henriette Auguste Helene Wharmunt born 1855 according to his death certificate. He did have siblings but I do not know their names. I only have 1890 for his dob. We believe he was born around Dresden.
Kind regards

Thanks for the additional information. I will see what I can find. I am assuming he was the one who married Anna Pauline Schodel in 1920.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ernest married Anna Pauline in 1920

Thanks :-)

Have you obtained their marriage record?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have attached a copy for you

That looks like a copy of just the index listing. The record itself should list the names of the parents, dates of birth, etc. You would need to order a copy of the registration itself (Registration Number: B025304, Page Number: 3126). Here's the link if you would like to add the record to your collection:

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/cartRecordSubmit.m?ReportName=MarriageSearch&key=433729

I'm continuing to search.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do have a hard copy of the marriage certificate. I will try to get a scan of this today and sent it to you

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so my Mum thinks Ernst did not have siblings. Also I will have to order a copy of the marriage certificate. I will send to you as soon as I get it

Thanks. This question is going to close within a few days. I don't know how long it takes to get certificates from the Queensland BMD. Hopefully, it will come quickly. If the question does close, just ask it again.

The reason I've asked for the marriage record, is that the names of parents are supplied by the people getting married, while wives or other relatives supply the names in a death certificate, and they may not be sure of the facts. There is no record currently available of anyone named Wharmunt having been born anywhere in Germany at any time.

I'll be talking to you again when you have the marriage record.