A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years

I'm trying to find out where my dad's mother was buried her

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out where my dad's mother was buried her name was Hazel Hightower also Hatch & McMahan before Hightower don't know her middle name but she lived in Oakland Ca
JA: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.
Customer: I am 58 years old I was about 10 when she passed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Genealogist should know?
Customer: My father was Allison S McMahan
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to the site! My name is ***** ***** I will see what I can find for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK let me know

I will. You'll get another email when I have something to report.

I have searched all available records for burials and did not find one for Hazel Hightower. As you probably know, California does not release death (or birth or marriage) records to the general public. One has to apply for a death certificate, which also will specify place of burial.

I found two women named Hazel Hightower who died 1968 +/- 10 years in California. You will probably know which is the correct one.

• Hazel Hightower b 18 Nov 1893 in California d 04 Aug 1975 in Santa Monica, Los Angeles Co., CA
  • Hazel Hightower b 18 Jul 1901 in Wyoming d 31 Jan 1972 in Oakland, Alameda Co., CA

You can request a copy of the death records. Here is the application that you will need:

I'm sorry California is one of several states that release no information without applying to them directly.

Please reply if you need additional information.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much I will keep looking Thanx again

You're so very welcome. Those are the only two Hazels who died in California in that time frame.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. I’m always happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me (hopefully a “5”) when you are done.

Best regards,