A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

I was just given information about my great great great

Customer Question

I was just given information about my great great great grandpa Alexander G McNeill. He was a sheriff for Benton County Washington . I have a colt lightning rifle 38 to 40 medium frame and it's dated 1883 I have his badge as sheriff of Benton County and I have a lot of documentation in regards ***** ***** man that shot my grandpa. The documents need to be preserved I do not know how to preserve them and I am wondering if you have any info about this?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  hikehuashan replied 6 months ago.

How many sheets of documentation do you have?

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A lot. A death certificate, pictures of the man who shot my grandpa, his arrest card, the papers from the gunshot that went threw my grandpas pocket, a letter from the man Jake Lake who shot my grandpa, and more
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just found a certificate of election for County sherriff from Benton state Washington dated December 23, 1908

And do you have an idea of how you would like the information preserved? Such as, will this be out for display, do you want it hung or preserved and saved to go to and take out at times?

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would like it placed in a book and organized .

I agree, a book would be the best method for preserving and collating the collection. You can start to preserve the collection on your own by purchasing an 'acid-free, archival storage box' and acid free paper. These can be ordered from shops such as A.I. Friedman: http://www.aifriedman.com/ or through a local framing shop in your area. You can keep the ephemera safe in the box, and place a piece of acid free paper between each item.

You can then 'shop' for a suitable and affordable archival bookbinder/conservator and discuss with them the scope of your project and budget.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That sounds great but do you have any information on what I shared with you? Thats really why I logged in and paid money. I was hopping to learn something more about what I have?
Thanks

What information are you seeking on your collection?

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was hoping by logging on and paying money this site would have resources to more information. I was hoping to maybe get more information on my grandpa and a value to the information that I have? The only information that I received is how to protect my papers.
Thanks

I can refer you to the genealogy category here on justanswer.com if you like. My apologies, as the question posed above in your initial posting is asking how to best preserve the collection.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That would be great and thank you.

Ok will do.

Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 6 months ago.

There is no way that genealogy can place a value on your collection. That is an appraisal question. Those are two completely different fields of inquiry. Preservation of artifacts is still another field. Nora does appraisals and answers questions about conservation.

Genealogy can only attempt to find more information about Alexander G McNeill of Benton Co., Washington. What information about him or his family are you looking for? For instance, do you want to know his parents' names?

Thanks for any additional information.

Schuyler

~