A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

Oh. My mother left me a letter to read after her death to

Customer Question

oh. My mother left me a letter to read after her death to tell me that she was of aboriginal father - a fact she hid from my racist father. Mavis Dempsey my mum told me she was born in Moore, Qld so I am doing some research on the tribe of Aboriginals that inhabited that area.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Mavis Dempsey did not have birth certificate from Moore. At a later date one was "made up" where upon her mother Violet Dempsey nominated her new husband as the father though not true. I just want to find out who my grandfather really is.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's passing, and the sad details concerning her birth. A birth certificate is the record of a child's birth. If someone misrepresents the truth on the birth record, there is no correct record of who the child's father actually was. Unless a contemporary of the child's mother is available to question about who the aboriginal father might be, there is no way to know.

DNA testing can help narrow the field once someone has narrowed it down to a few candidates. However, one cannot do DNA testing on every aboriginal family in the area hoping to find a near match for the woman's children and grandchildren.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but sometimes it isn't possible to know all one wants to about one's heritage when along the way there are no correct records.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~