A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years

I just received my 23andme results and have a L2a1 maternal

Customer Question

I just received my 23andme results and have a L2a1 maternal halogroup, though neither Jewish nor Russian came up on the ethnicity report
JA: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.
Customer: I just want to know what a halogroup is and what L2a1 means
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Genealogist should know?
Customer: I also did an Ancestry dna test...the results matched with 23andme. I am 64% African, 34% European, 1% West Asian and 1% Caucasus
JA: I did a little digging into my family history: we have a lot of dead eccentric Brits in our family tree. I hope you find some fascinating characters in yours. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Genealogist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 months ago.

A maternal haplogroup is a sub-population of people who share a maternal lineage.

L2a1 is a human mitochondrial DNA haplogroup. It is widely distributed in subSaharan Africa and among African Americans. L2 is the most common African lineage. The a1 subgroup of L2 is found in North Africa, Central Africa, and in East Africa. Other L2a1 groups are found in Ethiopia and a few in Syria.

All this tells is where ancient ancestors may have originated. It is of little to no help with your family genealogy. For that you need to trace the history of your family backward one generation at a time to find out who they were.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you!

You're so very welcome!