A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

Trying to track down my great grandparents from Nordhalben,

Customer Question

Trying to track down my great grandparents from Nordhalben, Germany. Paul Deuerling, Born: 1 Oct 1836 (Mother - Margaret) in Nordhalben, Died: 14 Mar 1914 in Chicago, IL. Elisabeth (Lisette) Stumpf, Born 11 Feb 1837(Father Paul Stumpf) in Nordhalben, Died 14 Fen 1911 in Chicago, IL. They immigrated to the US on the Herzogin von Brabant leaving Bremen and arriving NYC on 9 Jun 1866. They Married in Chicago in Oct 1866. There were several Deuerlings on the ship manifest. Would also like to know who they are and if they are related to Paul. They had three daughters in the US, Cunnigunda (1869 - 1947) (Henry Macke), Margaret (1872 - 1954) (Philip Thelen and Barbara (1872 - 1893). I have the census for them in 1900 and 1910. Would like to know more about their life in Germany. I have an article from the newspaper, I'm guessing a legal notice stating they are departing for the US and anyone having a claim against them have 8 days to file it. I have had no luck trying to trace them. I wrote to St Bartholowmew church in Nordhalbe and several other groups in Nordhalben from their homepage on the internet, but so far no response. Can you help?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I've been working on this for a few hours. I don't have an online record in any of my databases, or in any of my extensive collection of German publications. The ad you have was required of anyone leaving Germany. Hopefully, the people you have written to will write you back. Have you written to the Standesamt (Civil Registry Office) in Nordhalben? Their contact information is below. Standesamt Nordhalben96365 NordhalbenTelephone: 09267/914040Fax: 09627/914029 E-Mail:***@******.*** Civil records weren't mandated until the mid 1800s after Paul Deuerling had left, but some Standesamter have records from as early as the late 1700s. I hope you will luck out and find his family record. Kind regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, that was on of the offices I wrote to.