Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658

I have French ancestry, my father (deceased) has s birth

Customer Question

Good morning, I have French ancestry, my father (deceased) has his birth certificate and other documents. I am trying to get the birth certificate of his mother(my grandmother), the process to get my father's was an easy one by email last year. I tried to do the same for my grandmother. I have some French knowledge and can read a message I got on the website that when a birth is over 100 years old , this request can't be done electronically. She was born in 1906 (in a French possession, a part of France-Department de Ultramer, so was my father ). I realize I have to write a letter, but am a bit concerned that the whole process could take a long time and am not exactly sure who to write to. Any tips on how to do this myself or with an intermediary company at a reasonable rate.
Thank you
(French knowledge helpful, when answering this question)
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the wait. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

The actual cutoff for online requests is 1903, so you may be able to get the record by making the request online. Here is the page to do that:

http://bitli.es/s5jMrN

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks. However, that's a City of Paris link, this is for someone from Martinique. As I said I had no problem with the 1929 birth certificate (in the same website I got in), but got a message saying that anything over 100 yrs old couldn't be processed on line.