A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

I'm trying to find records from Legaloy, outside of

Customer Question

I'm trying to find records from Legaloy, outside of Ballynure in Northern Ireland. I know that my family attended the Ballynure Presbyterian Church, and I'd love to know how I could possibly see those records, as to further explore my family's history in that area. Specifically, I'm looking for records of ***** ***** Fulton (born about 1781 in Legaloy) and his wife Agnes Blair (born about 1793 in Legaloy). I'd love to find their marriage record (probably about 1812-1815 in Legaloy), as well as information on both of their parents, who are unknown at this point.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What kind of details are you wanting?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Genealogy Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Genealogy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If it helps, I do know that Thomas Fulton (born about 1781 in Legaloy) and his wife Agnes Blair (born about 1793 in Legaloy) had 3 children born in Legaloy. John Fulton born 1814, Ellen Fulton born 1815 and married to a Gilmore, and William Fulton born 1816 in Legaloy and married to Jenny McCullough on 15 October 1867 in the Ballynure Presbyterian Church. I do not have exact dates of birth for their 3 children, so if you could possibly find those as well, that would be amazing!To summarize, I'm looking for information on Thomas Fulton and his wife Agnes Blair...exact dates of birth, marriage record, death records, birth dates for their children, and hopefully information on their parents. I'm guessing that the Ballynure Presbyterian Church records may hold some information on this family, as I do know that Thomas and Agnes' son William was married in the church, as well as William's son Thomas and his wife Maggie Megaw. If you can find beyond Thomas and Agnes' parents, I'd be thrilled! Eventually, I'd like to come to Ireland and conduct my own research, but until then, I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you so much!
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry, but Brendan hasn't been online for a while.

There is no record that has been published and made available online. If the Ballynure Presbyterian church records going back to the late 1700s still exist, they would be on microfilm at PRONI (the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland). Even if the records haven't been microfilmed, they would be able to tell you if the records are still in local custody at the church. PRONI will do limited research for a fee (i.e., one discrete record such as a birth). For example, if you know that Thomas Fulton and Agnes Blair were married about 1812-1815 in the Ballynure church, they can check the microfilm of the church records. Then they will let you know if the record exists and what it will cost to get a copy. You can read more about the service here:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/can_someone_else_do_research_for_me.htm

You can also hire genealogists in Northern Ireland who can go to PRONI or the Ballynure Presbyterian Church and search for you. You will find competent people at www.progenealogists.com. They typically charge anywhere from $50 to $75 per hour, so be sure to get a solid contract before committing.

Just Answer does not offer on-site research.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know there are no church records available online, that is why I asked on here. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but for $40, I expected a better answer than to recommend hiring a genealogist. I wish I would have known that you didn't offer on site research before I paid. I would have saved my $40 and paid a genealogist who was willing to do a little digging. So, just to clarify, the only research you do is online?

No, we also have published records. However, we do not do on-site research. This is typically a job that runs to $75 per hour regardless of whether records can be found or not. Most people wind up paying at least $1000 for a family history of two or so generations. A genealogist is paid for their time, not for whether history has been kind and records haven't been lost.

Your question appeared to be "...I'm trying to find records from Legaloy, outside of Ballynure in Northern Ireland. I know that my family attended the Ballynure Presbyterian Church, and I'd love to know how I could possibly see those records, as to further explore my family's history in that area...." and I thought I answered that. Even when records do exist in the dozens of databases we subscribe to and in our individual genealogy libraries, Just Answer limits each interchange to one question, such as "what is the birth date of ***** ***** born about 1781."

You are not honor bound to accept the answer by giving me a good rating for my knowledge of where to find Irish records if they exist. You can just ignore Just Answer's request for a rating and the question will time out. You can contact Customer Service for a refund of your deposit. They keep it until I do get a good rating, so you can request a refund at any time.

I'm sorry the only records that might exist would be in Northern Ireland.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~