A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

Nikolaus Schadt, born in 1780, was born where?

Customer Question

Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Can you put Nikolaus in context, please? Where did you first encounter him? Who did he marry, when, and where? Who were his children? What was his complete name? Generally, Germans were called by the name nearest the surname, so he could have been Johann Christoph Philipp Nikolaus Schadt.

There are dozens of them (various spellings) in the records.

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just noticed I have been charged the full amount of $53 and not as indicated, a deposit of $5 followed by the balance after receiving a valid reply to the question. Why is this please?

I will ask Customer Service to contact you to explain the Terms of Service. Those of us who do the research have no knowledge of the financial side of operations.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not happy about the charging but will take a chance and attach herewith the transcription from the Neudorf bei Vincovci Church record book. You will need to look at page 288 where the first Schadt (1) is shown.
ORTSSIPPENBUCH - DER EHEMALIGEN DEUTSCH-EVANG. HEIMATGEMEINDE NEUDORF BEI VINKOVCI 1819-1944-1986The information in the book is up to 1986 and mostly came from Latter Day Saints microfilms from Neudorf as well as the author contacting many individuals that were from Neudorf for current information and where people had ended up. I have seen these microfilms from the Mormons and it is very neat to see the actual church records of our families in there. We are very fortunate that these church books were preserved during the war somehow and were able to be microfilmed. Many church books were destroyed.The easiest way to look at how to read these pages is to print out the files and have them in front of you. The first page is of your father Nikolaus Schadt and has a #59 in the 4th column - this is his number among his family. It shows he was born 18.02.1937 in Neudorf and then later at the address:***** Kooringal, Wagga-Waga NSW - 2650 AustraliaNext, in the 3rd column of your father is the number 48+49a - these are your grandparents. So, when you go to the next page you look number 48+49a in the 4th column you have Nikolaus Schadt and Katharina Staudt. With your grandparents is shows their birthdates and the date they were married and that they both lived in Neudorf house # ***** If you look through the page for the number 48+49a it shows a Magdelena Schadt, this is your fathers full sister and that she is also in Australia. It also shows that your grandfather was married a second time to #49b Elisabetha Weidle in 1955 in Ludwigsburg, Germany. It shows a Dietmar Schadt (page 292) born to your grandfather and his second wife in 1959 in Ludwigsburg. This would be your fathers half brother.If you follow the 4th and 3rd columns through the pages it will bring you to Nikolaus Schadt born in 1780 (unknown where) and died in 1834 in Neudorf. Neudorf was predomonently Lutheran and the protestant families left the Holy Roman Empire in the late 1770's and 1780's. Many had come from the Rhineland Pfalz area of Germany but yours does not show where they came from so I cannot be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I hope you received that ok. The information on how to read the file was of course written to me and it is invaluable to deciphering who belongs where in the family tree. Thank you.

It's a shame they didn't translate the entire entry for Nikolaus Schadt rather than give you a synopsis. I am going to opt out since one would need to send for the microfilm and read it through to find what the marriage entry really said.

Perhaps someone else will be able to help you.

Alternately you can request that microfilm from the nearest LDS office and read it, or get someone to read it for you. Usually a marriage record will give names of parents, and state the occupation of the groom.

I'm so sorry I can't help you.

You may request a refund through Customer Service if someone else doesn't answer you.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what to say, except I am disappointed. Can someone in your accounts department please reimburse me the entire $53 as soon as possible. Thank you.