A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

My mothers maiden name is my last name is. I dont know my

Customer Question

My mothers maiden name is ***** ***** last name is ***** ***** dont know my mothers middle name caused her name now is beverly thomas klein cause she is married to my stepdad and she took his name. My grandma is also thomas by marriage as well i do not know here maiden name. My main question how to find out who my dad is. My mother doesnt remember his name at all. I have no memory of him no pics nothing but my blood. What should i do?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

Do you have a copy of your birth certificate? That should list your biological father's name. There is no delicate way to say this, but if your mother was sexually active with many different men around the time you were conceived, it is possible that she really doesn't know who your father was. In that case, perhaps she can narrow down the list of suspects and you can have DNA testing done but that is going to require the consent of each man. It's also possible she was raped and the culprit was never found. In that case there is nothing you can do.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesnt know the man at all and on my birth certificate fathers name is ***** ***** dna test or blood test of my own by it self wouldnt do anything?

No, just knowing your own DNA doesn't do anything to identify your father. To make an identity, you would need to have a suspected father's DNA to compare it with. If enough exact matches are found in the two DNA samples, that is how paternity is established.

I'm sorry that you can't learn the identity of your biological father, but if your mother doesn't know who he is, then no one does.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~