A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

My husbands Great Great Great Grandfather was Bunce, I am at

Customer Question

My husbands Great Great Great Grandfather was Richard Bunce, I am at a block on finding about him, he was born 1793 in New York, would like to find out where he is buried ? or where he was born? The family matches up on Census 1850 under Richard Bunts,
with wife Annie and 9 children listed in Hudson, Summit County, Ohio. Can not find anything before this census.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Do you know when Richard Bunce died?

Do you know when and where his children were born?

Any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His oldest son was born in NY somewhere in 1826, Anson A. Bunce, Irvine 1829 NY, Richard Jr 1831 NY, Julia 1835 Ohio, Thomas 1838 Ohio, Perry 1848 Ohio, Ellen 1842 Ohio, Louisa 1845 Ohio, Martha the youngest 1849 Ohio. Do not know the cities they were born in. Do not know any date as to when Richard Bunce (Bunts) died. His wife signed a paper for soldier's dependent for Thomas in January 14, 1863. So I think Richard died before that. Most of the family later moved to Indiana, Anson is buried in Huntington County, Indiana. Also Julia Married in March 2nd 1853 married last name was Julia V. Woodard. We do not even know what Richard Bunce (Bunts) wife Annie's maiden name was, she was born in 1805. So have guessed that they married about 1824 or 1825, she was born in NY also. I hope some of this information helps you to find something more than I have. Also Richard Bunce (Bunts) was a carpenter and had property in Ohio when they lived in Summit County, OH because the boys did farming.

Thanks for the additional information. I've spent a few hours looking, but so far have found nothing in New York. I will continue to see what I can find.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You!!! This will help me since I am at a road block!!!

I'll do whatever I can, but sometimes records just don't exist. I will get back to you tomorrow. Meanwhile, no response is necessary. Have a good evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, my father-in-law said the family came from Cattaraugus County, NY maybe this will help.

Maybe, if there are records available. I will see.

Hello again,

In 1840 they were in Addison, Gallia Co., OH. with one male under 5 (b1835-1840), one male 30-40 (b1800-1810), 1 female under 5 (b1835-1840), 2 females 5-10 (b1830-1835) and one female 20-30 (b1810-1820). The record has been transcribed "Richard Bunes."

The 1830 census for Freedom Twp., Cattaraugus Co., NY also has a Richard "Bunts" with two males under 5 (b1825-1830), one male 5-10 (b1820-1825), and one male 30-40 (b 1790-1800).

There is also a James Bunts in Randolph Twp., Cattaraugus Co., NY with one male 30-40 and one female 30-40 (each b1790-1800).

Although the Richard who was in Gallia Co. in 1840 and the Richard in Cattaraugus Co. in 1830 don't add up to the exact ages of the children, that isn't unusual. Trying to fit your children into the age brackets while a census taker twiddled their thumbs wasn't easy.

I did not find a marriage record anywhere for Richard and his wife, and no death record for him.

There is a Richard Bunce (03 Aug 1796-03 Sep 1873) buried in Poplar Ridge Cemetery in Gallia Co., OH but his wife was named Mary J. (1819-1898). Her tombstone is inscribed "wife of Richard." I thought I was onto something. That led me to further research which showed that this Richard and Mary J. (nee Williamson) Bunce were from Mason Co., WV.

I'm sorry but there are just no more records.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying, you have uncovered the same information I have!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the Freedom Twp one is the closest I have seen, but that still leaves me with a block as to where Richard was Born!!! But thank you for trying!!!

You're so very welcome. Sorry all the hard work didn't turn up more information.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~