A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

Thank you help proposal. In fact I'm in search of that

Customer Question

Hello! Thank you for your help proposal. In fact I'm in search of that person who gave their freedom to my ancestor Valery whom patronyme SIMONARD was attributed to him together with his certificate of individuality february 1849.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for requesting me. I will look and see if there are any records available. However, most records from Martinique are not online, and one has to travel there and view any documents in person.

It will take some hours to check what is available. You will get an email similar to this one when I have anything to report.

All the best,

Schuyler

~

Hello again,

In April 1848 slavery was abolished in France and all of its colonies. The Commissioner of Martinique who had been in France for the deliberations, did not get back to Martinique until June 3 of that year with the decree. In the interim there had been a slave uprising in Martinique and the Governor had abolished slavery. So, there was no owner who granted manumission. Certificates were issued from that summer onward.

Habitation Perpigna in the first part of the 19th century was the de Lucy Fossarieu family, first Xavier and later his son Herve. Through 1928 the property remained in the Fossarieu family.

I found no record of a Simonard or a Voltigeur family anywhere in Martinique. Simonard was a surname found in France and to a lesser extent in Belgium. There were also some from England (who had originally come from France). Helene Valentine Simonard b about 1900 in BWI came to the US in 1925. Obviously there were people of that surname living in Martinique, but the records aren't online.

I only found the surname Voltigeur in Argentina. So why Claire Rose and Valery chose those surnames remains a mystery. However, Napoleon in 1803 raised a light infantry company of small men (less than 5 feet tall) that he dubbed the Voltigeurs. Here's an interesting article about them:

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/web2.airmail.net/napoleon/infantry_Napoleon.html#frenchvoltigeurs

In Canada, a company of light infantry was also raised for the War of 1812 (no height limits) that was known as the Voltigeurs de Quebec.

During the War of 1812 and afterward, a Canad***** *****ght infantry force called the Voltigeurs de Quebec fought against the French in the West Indies as well as in Canada.

I hope this will help explain some facets of your family history. I'm just sorry there isn't more available.

All the best,

Schuyler

~