A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

My husband was raised by a woman who recently informed m

Customer Question

My husband was raised by a woman who recently informed him that she was not his biological mother. She refuses to reveal her identity. I contacted a family member who told me fifteen years ago that she was not his real mother. Now, he refuses to reveal who she is but he informed that it was someone in this woman's family. I asked him if the real mother was a sister, cousin, or niece of the woman and he said Yes, that she was someone in the family. My husband, we believe was born in Detroit, Mi on July 9, 1952. The family member informed me that there were no adoption papers because the woman took the child and raised him as her own. When my husband obtained his birth certificate, it was a delayed birth certificate which leads me to believe that this story is true. I have several female names that I believe might be a good start in this research.. I was wondering if the hospital where we believe he was born or Vital Records in the Capital city may have a list of African American males born in 1952? Hopefully, you can assist us.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but there's no list of males born in 1952 in Detroit or elsewhere in Michigan, or in other states. Privacy laws prevent this in most states. Most records aren't made public for 100 years after the birth to protect the privacy of all involved.

If you have the birth certificate, that is all the information that exists.

I'm afraid you will have to rely on someone in the family getting over their reluctance to reveal the real names of his biological parents.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but there are no such list as you request.

All the best,

Schuyler

~